Negotiating Purchase of Baby Grand

dupre

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 10:26 am
Which brand is the best value? I'm hoping to get a new, good quality, black-laquered, lower priced model. I seem to remember someone suggesting a Japanese brand starting with an "i." Also, I was told not to pay the asking price, but to negotiate. Please offer tips on negotiating.

BTW, the piano will be for my house, not recording or performing. I will be able to open the top and have the music drift out of two walls of windows to our front porch and entertainment area in the yard during parties.

The piano will be placed on a wooden floor. I was told that I'd need a carpet underneath to absorb vibrations. Your thoughts on that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 5
No top replies

angie

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 05:59 pm
While I may not be able to give you exactly the information you are seeking, I do have a few thoughts to share.

With pianos, you definitely get what you pay for.

There are low end, mid range and high end brands. If you are a serious student, I would highly recommendnd staying away from the low end brands. You sacrifice everything, sound (especially bass), overall tone, feel etc. Unless you're just looking for a piece of furniture, or unless you're a real beginner, the low end stuff is a waste.

Personally, I would recommend a used, well-maintained mid or high end brand. The difference in sound and feel is unmistakable.

You also need to consider the type of sound you want. Most Asian brands offer a crisp, "brilliant" tone, while European brands tend to be softer and more "melifluousus".

As far as putting the piano on a carpet, the carpet will definitely eat up some of the sound. That may or may not be what you want. And I would also be very careful about putting the piano near windows or open doors. Inside walls tend to be preferable, as heat and humidity can wreak havoc.

I have never heard of negotiating the price on a new piano, while you can always negotiate on a used model.

Why not go to a dealer, spend some time there, decide what you like, then decide whether to go with new or used model.

I have owned used mid-range pianos with good sound and feel. They did not look great, but they served their purpose. When my sons finally reached the point where the quality of the piano made a real difference in their learning and performing experience, we bit the bullet and bought an exquisite 6'6" Yamaha Conservatory Grand, high gloss ebony, amazing sound and touch, incredible bass, well worth the somewhat shocking price. The piano haactuallyll appreciated in value, and is the most beautiful piece in our entire home.

Good luck with your search.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
angie, thanks for your informative post. How wonderful to talk to someone who bit the bullet. Wish I had that kind of courage, or felt that I deserved it.

Regarding those pesky windows, maybe I will get better windows--storm windows--for that room before purchasing.

Thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 09:07 pm
Dupre:

YOU DESERVE IT !!!

Do yourself this favor - you will not regret it. Pianos never lose their value.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
Hi, angie. After your thoughtful response, I'm beginning to have serious doubts as to whether I can provide a piano a proper environment. I am living in a 100-year-old farmhouse on fifty acres in Central Texas. The house belongs to my boyfriend, so really, I don't want to invest in the house itself. (Even when we marry, the house will never be mine.) We do not have central air/heat, and will not be running the window unit 24/7. A friend suggested a dehumidifier. These old windows open from top and bottom and have the charming old rope pulleys. There will always be some exposure, even if we do insulate the ceiling and seal the wooden floor. I could add heavy drapes, but, well, that will interfere with the interesting architecture.

I'm crushed, but not undone. It seems that Roland puts out an amazing digital baby grand. It compares favorably with a Steinway.

Do you know, or know someone who knows, whether an electronic keyboard/piano will better hold up to heat and humidity? I could throw our three days of cold winter in there, too. Smile

Thanks for your encouragement. It's a dream of mine I'm about to achieve, I hope.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:35 am
Thanks again, angie, for your repsonse. After sleeping on it, I've decided it's better to let Mr. dupre move forward with his remodeling before I make the investment. But, thanks to you, we will take extra care with that room and the adjacent room with the powerful window unit. We are looking into flooring with insulation, too, whereas we were just going to seal the wood.

Looks as if this year I'll be going to our library to reserve the piano room more often . . . and taking my dream vacation, instead. Smile
0 Replies