Does no one else think that marriage is based on outdated ideals and traditions?

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 05:37 am
Just curious, things like your father giving you away is stemmed from when fathers would literally used to sell off their daughters? any information/discussion is appreciated!

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 07:54 am
@happygirl934,
Nope, I'm married and I think it's just fine.

And not every culture has the father giving his daughter away. I'm Jewish; both of us were walked down the aisle by both of our parents as a symbol of the transition from being single to being married.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:06 am
@happygirl934,
The rituals of the wedding ceremony may be derived from arcane practices, but this gives a sense of continuity to the past. I don't think this detracts from marriage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:10 am
It seems society is at a point where customs are not as widely revered. Common law and single parenthood for instance are gaining on traditional marriage. I personally favor the parent{s} giving away the bride.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:11 am
No, I do think that marriage is based on outdated ideals.
According to statistics is seems like a marriage lasts longer than a just living together with a partner.
The tradition of walking your daughter up to the alter has diffrerent traditions in different countries. It can also be seen as that your father is pleased with the man you are getting married to.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:19 am
When my daughter finally gets married, there's a very good chance that I'll attach some surgical tubing to the back pews and sling-shot her up the aisle.
jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:33 am
@blatham,
Just don't use a boomerang.
blatham

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:36 am
@jespah,
I like a prudent woman. I didn't know there were any.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:35 pm
@happygirl934,
Marriage, a 'practical' means for raising children but has probly no more 'natural' basis

As for one stemming from t'other, Girl, nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else

If I don't seem very helpful, why see former para

And Tom, yes, but in an absolute sense nothing detracts from anything else
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:43 pm
@dalehileman,
A little hard to follow, Dale but I nevertheless wholeheartedly agree!
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:03 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Tom as I was just sayin' to Fil, you guys keep me alive with your kiddin'

...tho I'm not sure everyone hereabout is glad 'bout that
0 Replies

SinLeviathan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 08:47 pm
@happygirl934,
Yes in some aspects Marriage is outdated. But at the same time marriage is OPTIONAL and not for everyone.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:17 pm
@SinLeviathan,
Quote:
OPTIONAL and not for everyone
Indeed Levi,, Via the suggestion At nor more Than a Sin
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does no one else think that marriage is based on outdated ideals and traditions?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:27:58