http://i.imgur.com/SzWPDqe.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:30 pm
The merely dead or the sincerely dead?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 12:51 am
Okay, how about Wyatt Earp? Contrary to rumors, he really was one of the good guys. Born poor and tough, he spent his teen years as a bouncer in a whorehouse. When he went out west there really was lawlessness, and he was the only guy around who could give his area any sort of order at all. The only time he went off the rails a bit was when one of the bands of of outlaws he was always having trouble with shot his brother dead in the middle of a pool game he was having with Wyatt. Wyatt sort of put aside Constitutional guarantees, etc, and went after the man who he saw kill his brother. He eventually got him.

Incredibly, for all the lack of law enforcement in the region, the Feds decided to go after Wyatt for getting the man who shot his brother right in front of his face. Only somewhat famous at the end, Hollywood screenwriters for once got it right and built him up as a tough man bringing the rule of law to the west, which mostly, he did. The only time he went somewhat out of line was when he went after the man who he saw shoot his brother dead.

Anyone else have something to add about Wyatt Earp or some other historical, (dead), figure?
roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 01:11 am
@Blickers,
Oh, you should read up on Elfago Baca. Long time lawman in and around Socorro, NM and later became a lawyer in Albuquerque. Lots of true stories about the man, but also lots of 'just stories'. Of the latter, he never denied the ones he liked, so it's hard to separate truth from legend.

He lived into his 80's
roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 01:12 am
@roger,
Forgot to add: he's dead.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 04:16 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
People You Remember

It's quite difficult to talk about people you don't remember, so thanks for making it easy.

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 07:27 am
Lots of dead people, yes it is a downer subject they can't help it.

They still cry out from the great beyond and say remember me!

We have a duty to never let their memory be neglected or forgotten.

In many cases they were better than us.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 07:49 am
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e4E0EpjQ6OM/hqdefault.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 08:11 am
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 03:06 pm
@nacredambition,
Thanks for the reminder.

This is the first popular song I remember liking as a kid. When I was very young, I didn't like the popular songs on the radio because my first exposure to music was the classical hymns I heard in church weekly-rock n' roll and country clashed with that sensibility. But going through the radio dial one day, this song struck me as something I liked hearing, and from then on I started listening to the music of the time, the early sixties.

It wasn't until years later that I found out Frank Ifield was British. I thought he was country.

0 Replies

Timaeuslee

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 08:52 pm
@TheCobbler,
/What is Dead May Never Die/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:53 am
I am sorry about my cold and ambivalent intro to this discussion.

"Respecting the dead" applies.

Death has been a large part of my life. (this should be an oxymoron)

It is a curse that has caused me such grief that I doubt I can even breach the subject without bitter animosity.

When it seems that everyone you love dies either too soon or before you are prepared for it then it is like being followed by a dark cloud.

I have lost many friends and family members, a lot were young and some were old and it was perhaps their time. Some died tragic and some just slowly slipped away.

This regardless leaves one alone and saddened by the passing of so many wonderful people.

It is frustrating thinking that there are many more people who have died that I have known and I am unaware they have passed.

We live in a culture of death where people are dying from drug overdoses at such y0ung ages.

It makes one feel fortunate to have avoided such a terrible fate.

They say, "only the good die young", so I guess I must be bad to have lived beyond them...

I think of them smiling up in heaven looking down and that spares me so I do not feel such remorse.

Were it not for death we would not need angels.

RIP
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:59 am
Death stalks us all. I doubt if anybody here does not experience such loss, while awaiting the Glib Ripper for themselves. But let's keep dancing. Break out with hives or have a ball. The choice is ours.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks, made me smile and chuckle. hehe

The Bible says Enoch was, "translated from death".

Many preachers interpret this as Enoch being carried into heaven on chariots and never dying a physical death.

I heard it once proposed that "trans" means across and not up and down.

So it was interpreted like this.

God knew Enoch could not handle death of loved ones so whenever a loved one was about to pass Enoch was carried away to another physical place and situation on earth (distracted) where he avoided the sadness of losing a loved one.

He was translated from death meaning he never had to face losing a loved one. This is certainly not my life.

It seems I was translated to death. Perhaps I am made of something stronger than Enoch.

It is a lot to carry around and when you experience tragic death at a young age it changes you entirely.

Some, it makes their resolve stronger and some simply fall to pieces.

No matter how strong you are the pain still exists. We try to use rational but it often fails miserably.

Being translated from death and rose colored glasses seem a bit unreal.

Fondly remembering is all we can do in most cases.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 07:14 pm
I am not much into Biblical references, except as entertainment. They make some fine films, based on these tales. Mostly they make mediocre films, based on these tales. But I enjoy most of them. Fact about death is, we simply have got to compartmentalize everything, so that we revere our dead loved ones, but don't let it spoil our dinner or the enjoyment of the pleasures of life. Who was it said, Let the dead bury their dead? Conqueror Worm may prevail in the end, but I don't have to worry about it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 01:47 pm
Quote:
Death is the black camel that kneels before every tent.
~ Anonymous
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2017 11:29 pm
@neologist,
That is extremely deep...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » People You Remember
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:38:38