what does "figures as figures" mean?

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 09:07 am
in legal context, in the arbitration phase where experts would serve their expert reports, the experts appointed by each party would likely to agree "figures as figures" and "facts as facts", leaving a a number of issues to be decided by the tribunal. I am not quite sure what "figures as figures" and "facts as facts" mean. Could you help me? Thank you so much.

Below viewing threshold (view)
timur

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:04 pm
@dalehileman,
Quit being obnoxious, Dale.

A life in journalism, knowing nothing about figures and facts, how sad..
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:08 pm
Dale, stop being a jerk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:27 pm
@lizfeehily,
Figures refers to numbers. They don't change because someone doesn't like what they show.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:40 pm
@roger,
Quote:
They don't change because someone doesn't like what they show
Cen, Tim, isn't that pretty much what I had said
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 01:17 pm
Treating "figures as figures" is a legal term used in disputes between parties in a civil court action, such as one company suing another. It means that both parties agree on money amounts attached to issues in the case, even if the liability is disputed. Often the complexity of cases can be reduced, and the issues narrowed, if the expert witnesses appointed by each side of the dispute can agree in this way. Meetings are held, and the more that can be agreed, the less there is to be argued in court. Thus savings in costs can be made for both sides, and the court can concentrate on the essential issues of legal principle and liability, rather than getting bogged down in arguments about money values. E.g. company A constructs a building for company B which is later found to have defects. Company B says it will cost $X to put them right. Company B sues company A, which denies liability either in part or in full. Expert witnesses appointed by both companies meet and come to an agreement about the cost, leaving the argument about who is to blame for the court to decide. Often the money to settle this type of claim comes from insurance companies, who have no desire to add pointless legal costs to their liability. If a case proceeds on a "facts as facts" basis then, in a like manner, essential facts in a dispute are agreed by both sides.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 01:46 pm
@centrox,
Thank you for the clarity.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:10 pm
My day job is in legal finance.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:20 pm
@centrox,
That means we are total opposites, I say, cheerily. Actually, not so, as I oft agree with you.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:38 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
in a civil court action, such as one company suing another
Well Cen I did indicate I was just guessing
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
That means we are total opposites

You work in illegal finance? I should keep that quiet if I were you.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 02:49 pm
@centrox,
That's where Cen and I are also total opposites. He always seems to know the answer while I'm almost always guessing

Quote:
I should keep that quiet if I were you
No need to, I guess it's pretty obvious
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:03 pm
Dale wrote:
He always seems to know the answer while I'm almost always guessing

The obvious inference is that you should shut the **** up..
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:05 pm
@timur,
Quote:
shut the **** up
Gee thanks Tim
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, why don't you write in threads where people don't have specific questions and not hopeful for a correct answer? Especially in ESL threads where mostly Chinese learners ask questions and have a limited time available on the internet, it is very rude and contra productive to give wrong answers and more importantly waste their time and everyone else too! It's a matter of respect and decency towards the person asking.

We all realize that you're 86 year old, but age doesn't give you the right to be so blatantly ignorant. There are plenty of thread topics where you can talk without hindering people from getting a right answer. Be a little bit more considerate!
centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:18 pm
Well said, CalamityJane.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:34 pm
@centrox,
I am fairly lifetime not interested in the world of finance as a way to live a life, and, subsequently, am on the poor side. Not sorry.
centrox

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I am fairly lifetime not interested in the world of finance as a way to live a life, and, subsequently, am on the poor side. Not sorry.

Oh right. I'm not rich, I meant I work in the finance part of a legal organisation. I sit at a desk juggling spreadsheets of other people's money, fees mainly, and sit in meetings about financial policy.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 03:44 pm
I consider Dale as the most passive aggressive person I've ever run across.

Not re this thread, but all of his threads.

1. Forums
  2. » what does "figures as figures" mean?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:02:09