"About you" phrase

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 09:20 pm
What is the function and meaning of the phrase "about you" in a sentence as "I wonder if you've got such a thing as a balloon about you"?

roger

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 09:32 pm
@Sweet-sweet,
Just an odd way of asking if a balloon is in your immediate possession.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 09:53 pm
@Sweet-sweet,
Quote:
I wonder if you've got such a thing as a balloon about you?

It means:

Are you currently in possession of a balloon?

Balloon, in this context, might be a slang term for drugs or a condom.

Quote:
a balloon about you

What mellifluent cadence, such metre foot and rhyme, it takes us to another dimension: a b al oo a b ow oo.

Blickers

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:11 pm
@Sweet-sweet,
Can you give us a couple of more sentences which precede this sentence so we can get the context? "About you" sometimes means that you show or demonstrate a certain personal quality. For instance, some people can sound humorous even doing something very routine, like ordering potato salad at a delicatessen counter.

Just for the heck of it, I include a song, "Something About You Baby" by the Four Tops to illustrate the usage:

nacredambition

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 10:39 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
some people can sound humorous even doing something very routine

I rarely if ever use the word 'about' to mean 'in my possession' since the incident at the check-out that time.

The cashier had scanned all the items and then said "Is that all?", somewhat peremptorily.

In was at that very moment I made to mistake of saying "You mean apart from the items I have secreted about my person?", in my most jocular and dulcet tones.

She looked at me and I looked at her for what seemed quite some time because it was.

I looked for her all the time after that but never saw her again.
0 Replies

Sweet-sweet

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 12:12 am
This sentence was taken from "Winnie-the-Pooh"))) Nothing about condoms or drugs. I was just curious why this phrase was used and on what it emphasizes. Thank you for help.
0 Replies

Sweet-sweet

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 12:18 am
By the way, if I want to diagram this sentence, what compliment is this phrase, what does it modify?
Blickers

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 02:20 am
@Sweet-sweet,
Can you post a few sentences which appear BEFORE that sentence? We need to know the context-meaning seeing the sentence in a paragraph-so we can tell you.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:17 am
@Blickers,
You just want to hear more about Winnie the Pooh.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 08:23 am
@Sweet-sweet,
It's a phrase that's still used in Britain, although slightly old fashioned. It doesn't mean anything other than Do you have a balloon on you? The phrase about you could be changed to about your person.

It's not exactly the same as Do you have a balloon? You could answer yes to that question if you simply owned a balloon but it was at home or elsewhere, however, Pooh isn't interested in that. It means Do you have a balloon on your person right now? either in your pocket, hand or a bag.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:23 am
@nacredambition,
Thank you for the song; I had totally forgotten about it. Nice to hear some major chords this morning.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "About you" phrase
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 12:05:47