Is Rock Dead?

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:45 pm
I may just be an old fuddy-duddy (I'm 43) but it seems to me that the energy is raining out of rock. Is rock dead as an artistic musical form?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,890 • Replies: 23
No top replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:39 pm
It is no more dead than the romantic music of the 19th century is. Its time has past, but it enriched the global musical tradition with new melodies, rhythms and contents.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 12:10 am
larry richette- By what criteria do you base your opinion that the energy is raining out of rock? Is it possible that the genre is simply evolving?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:23 am
larry r.

Yes it is ... IF you talk to (senior high school) students I've taught recently. They are somewhere else altogether, musically ... & what we call rock'n'roll , they call "old people's' music" Laughing . They are SERIOUSLY into other forms of contemporary music.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 12:25 pm
What are they listening to Msolga? I am really curious. Rap? Techno?

I am basing my opinion on the rock I have heard in the past few years. It sounds pretty anemic to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:44 pm
In 1962 rock became pretty tepid. I doubted that it could survive. Suddenly the British Invasion, Motown and Folk Rock, among other forms, exploded and not just revitalized rock, but transformed it. Who knows but what another incarnation of it may happen again?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:47 pm
"Rock and Roll is here to stay..." Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:30 pm
well, its pretty obvious to me that the peak of rock n' roll was '68 - '73 which just so happens to be the very same years i was a D.J.
pretty amazing uh?
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:38 pm
What!!!!
Dyslexia... You mean you didn't stay around long enough go "Disco?"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:01 pm
YIKES
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:27 pm
This might be a matter of taste, I think most of the music that is invoking the nostaliga on this topic was lame and that current rock is prefferable.
And I think it's just my age speaking.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
craven: of course you are absolutely correct, we are all a product of our times.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:59 pm
I think people change music all the time just to make us oldsters afraid and confused.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:59 pm
Joke. I was joking.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 10:07 pm
but i am old and confused!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:03 pm
larry r.

What are the 16/17/18 year olds listening to? Rap, hip hop, techno, "dance" music. This was last year & I don't teach them any more. If they accidentally heard an old rock classic on the radio they could be quite disparaging: "Who changed the station?" or "Whats THAT?" or "that's music that old people listen to". Very definite preferences, they had!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 02:59 am
Well, musical tastes are not a direct function of age. I always preferred music of my parents' and even grandparents' generations (besides symphonic and opera music, I mean pop music of '10s-'40s). Not long ago I managed to find online and to download "The Long Way to Tipperary" (digitalized record of 1914), and I really liked it! I want to mention that in 1914 there were 49 years left for me to be born.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
Rock and Roll dead ? Well according to my daughter and what she listens too, you'd have too say that R & R might well have one foot in the grave.
Then when I go downtown to the independant music/CD shop, I say no way, it's alive and well and doing quite nicely in fact.
All types of music goes thru phases of popularity. Has jazz or big band died. The Blues haven't died, coz I just bought a Robert Johnson CD. The original recording was made in the mid 1930s.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:09 pm
The Ramones were pretty good, at least for a while. Not sure about what's up now. But as a formerly avid rock fan who's now middle-aged, I think such issues are best left to the kids. It's their scene, just as it was mine when I was young.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
about '61 when i was listening to ROCK and ROll my MOM got all the Ventures vinyls
0 Replies