REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION OF ENGLISH EXPRESSION.

iandu76

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:42 am
Hello, Please help me out in this expressions as follows:
1. If l say in an angry and threatening way to someone that "I will break his mouth" to mean that I would hit him in the mouth until it bled. Does it sound normal and correct to native English Speakers?. If not, what is the usual way of saying or expressing it?.
2. If someone whose mouth is in bad condition such that it easily bleeds even on slight application of pressure. Is it correct to describe it as "purulent"?. If not, what is the usual way of saying or expressing it by native English Speakers?.
Thank your in anticipation of your help.
English Learner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 323 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iandu76
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:25 pm
@iandu76,
Quote:
"I will break his mouth"... sound normal and correct to native English Speakers?.
Not to me Ian. Usu we'd say, 'I'll hit (or 'smack') him in the mouth (or 'teeth')....or 'face'
iandu76

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 01:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks for your contribution.
Blickers

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 03:45 pm
@iandu76,
As Dale said, "Break your nose" or "you're looking for a punch in the mouth" are common. Not "break your mouth".

However, "break your arm" or "break your legs" are also common.
Blickers

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 03:49 pm
"Purulent" is not a commonly used word in English, at least not in North America. Perhaps those in the medical field use it, I almost never hear it.

There probably is no way to say one's mouth is tender and ready to bleed at a touch except to describe the condition as you did. There is no commonly used word for it.
iandu76

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:00 am
@Blickers,
Very useful one. Thanks alot for helping me.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:03 am
@Blickers,
Thanks alot for the contribution.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION OF ENGLISH EXPRESSION.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 04:45:28