Dictionary of dead language complete after 90 years

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:18 am
From the BBC, I thought it might be of interest.

Quote:
A dictionary of the extinct language of ancient Mesopotamia has been completed after 90 years of work.

Assyrian and Babylonian - dialects of the language collectively known as Akkadian - have not been spoken for almost 2,000 years.

"This is a heroic and significant moment in history," beamed Dr Irving Finkel of the British Museum's Middle East department.

As a young man in the 1970s Dr Finkel dedicated three years of his life to The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary Project which is based at the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.

That makes him something of a spring chicken in the life story of this project, which began in 1921.

Almost 90 experts from around the world took part, diligently recording and cross referencing their work on what ended up being almost two million index cards.

The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary is 21 volumes long and is encyclopaedic in its range. Whole volumes are dedicated to a single letter, and it comes complete with extensive references to original source material throughout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13715296

Lots more at the link.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 549 • Replies: 8

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 06:01 am
Soon Stephen King will be available in Akkadian.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 06:16 am
@izzythepush,
It is amazing what energy and I would even say love people put into a project which they are deeply interested in. Not only that, but how they can bring out the best in others to help with the project.
George

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
http://www.omniglot.com/images/langsamples/smp_akkadian.gif
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 08:11 am
@George,
That's easy for you to say.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 09:11 am
@saab,
Especially the ones at the beginning who have no realistic chance of ever seeing it come to fruition.
George

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
Puts me in mind of the cathedral-builders of the Middle Ages.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 10:51 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 11:11 am
@George,
Alexander Armstrong is currently doing a three parter about Italian cities. The leaning tower took hundreds of years, and started leaning long before completion. The dome on the central cathedral in Florence was built by a man who took his secrets to the grave. One of the things the programme was doing was digitally mapping such constructions in order to find out how they made them.

That's a long convoluted way of me saying that I thought the same as you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dictionary of dead language complete after 90 years
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 12:27:55