Queen becomes first British monarch to celebrate a Sapphire Jubilee.

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 08:10 am
For all you Royal watchers out there.

Quote:
A 41-gun salute has been fired in London's Green Park to mark the Queen's 65 years on the throne.

Gun salutes also took place in Cardiff, Edinburgh and York.

The Queen has become the first British monarch to reach a sapphire jubilee, after becoming the UK's longest-reigning monarch in 2015, aged 89.

A portrait of the Queen by British photographer David Bailey has been reissued for the anniversary.

In the photo, the Queen wears sapphire jewellery given to her by King George VI as a wedding gift in 1947.

The portrait was among a series taken by Bailey in 2014, with one released for the Queen's 88th birthday that year.

The photographer's subjects over the years include Princess Diana, the Beatles, and criminals the Kray twins.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/14EAC/production/_93967658_hi037705540.jpg

In the portrait, the Queen, who is now 90, wears a necklace made of 16 large oblong sapphires surrounded by diamonds with a matching pair of drop earrings.

Over the years, she has added to the gifts from her father with a tiara and a bracelet to complement the original jewellery.

It is tradition for the Queen to spend the Accession Day - as the anniversary of the day she became monarch is officially known - in private at her Sandringham Estate and return to Buckingham Palace a few days later.

Prime Minister Theresa May offered her congratulations hailing the Queen as "truly an inspiration to all of us".

The prime minister said: "I know the nation will join with me today in celebrating and giving thanks for the lifetime of service Her Majesty the Queen has given to our country and to the Commonwealth."

Mrs May said it was "a testament to her selfless devotion to the nation" that the Queen had made clear she did not want official celebrations to mark the historic milestone.
Longevity for a hereditary head of state has brought many milestones.

Britain's longest reigning monarch - she overtook her great great grandmother, Victoria, in 2015 - has already commemorated her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees.

Today, after 23,742 days on the throne, it's the start of the first Sapphire Jubilee in British history.

For the Queen, it's a moment for contemplation rather than celebration - as it is also the anniversary of her father's death.

The woman who became Queen in 1952, when butter was still rationed in those post-war years, continues to reign, 65 years on, in a country now fashioning its future outside of the EU.

In the coming months and years, she will, inevitably, do less and other royals will take on more - most notably Prince William, once he finishes his job as an air ambulance pilot in the summer.

The 90-year-old working monarch has another significant moment on the horizon.

In November, she and Prince Philip will mark 70 years of marriage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38872538

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 08:21 am
God save the Queen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:08 am
Time to go gorge on the Royal Family youtube channel Smile I love the old films there.

She took "long may she reign" literally.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:32 am
She is fantastic and Great Britain can be proud of her.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:44 am
Here's some shooting in her honour.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:02 am
I remember all the fuss when George died and they crowned her Queen. It was the really big story for weeks. We didn't have television, but the radio, papers and the school teachers kept us informed. It wore on a kid so young.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
I bet you didn't even get a day off. I become quite the Royalist I get a day off work, like when Charles and Diana got married. God bless 'em! That stands in stark contrast to when Andrew and Fergie got married and we still had to go to work. **** the pair of them!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
I think she'll outlive us all. And (upcoming) congratulations to her and Prince Philip on 70 years of marriage! Wow!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:36 am
@jespah,
Well her mum lived to get a telegram from her daughter. (Over here centenarians get a telegram from the Queen when they reach 100, and every year after too.) If Liz makes it that long who will send the telegram?
saab

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Maybe telegrams do not even exist in 10 years. She might have to send herself an e-mail or sms.
I am sure she will get plenty of birthday cards----and she deserves it.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:19 pm
@saab,
I'm not sure if it even is a telegram any more to tell the truth, but it's something.

One old woman of 105 was in the papers complaining that the kept getting the same photo.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Queen becomes first British monarch to celebrate a Sapphire Jubilee.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:43:25