Comma before conjunctions in a list of items

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:27 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
overreach -.... ability, authority, or money will allow....Should I ... omit the comma before 'or'?
I wouldn't. Without the comma there seems to be some special connection between authority and money
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:40 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

By the way, can you explain to me why the comma is used before 'and' and 'or' in the following definitions? What is the rule?

scoff - to laugh at a person or idea, and talk about them in a way that shows you think they are stupid

scoff - to laugh at someone or something, or criticize them in a way that shows you do not respect them

These are Oxford commas.
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:43 pm
@dalehileman,
The potential ambiguity of not using the Oxford comma is exaggerated in my opinion. It seems to me that the conjunction 'or' itself separates the last two items (i.e. 'authority' and 'money').
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:46 pm
@Nat093,
In tyhisd case Nat you're probly right. In some cases tho the omission of a comma could cause misreading

Cen, help
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:48 pm
@centrox,
I thought that the Oxford comma is a comma placed before the coordinating conjunction in a series of three or more items. After all, that is how it is defined.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:57 pm
Citing one author:

'The comma should be inserted before "the" in order to avoid ambiguity: This machine has the following functions: Print, copy, scant, and file.'

'Without the final comma, the machine might be understood as either having three functions - scan and file or four functions - scan, and file.'

Would you really interpret it that way? By saying, 'The machine can print, copy, scant and file', I could be misunderstood in your opinion?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:33 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
'The machine can print, copy, scant and file', I could be misunderstood in your opinion?
In my opinion Nat, most assuredly. Immediately the q jumps into my own mind, 'Then shouldn't it be, '...copy, and scant and file'

Cen, help
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:20:53