Comma before conjunctions in a list of items

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:32 am
Recently, I have read about the so-called 'Oxford comma' or 'serial comma'. A lot of people are in favour of using it, but there ale also some who do not use it.

Personally, I do not use it before the conjunctions such as 'and or 'or' in a series of items unless it causes ambiguity.

For example,
1) Payment can be made by cash, cheque or credit card.
2) I bought bacon, eggs and tomatoes.

I am curious about your opinion about the use of Oxford comma. Do sentences like the above look wrong without the comma? Could they be ambiguous?

In his book Practical English Usage, Michael Swan writes that in British English, a comma is not usually used with and between the last two items unless these are long.

E.g. I spent yesterday playing cricket, listening to jazz records, and talking about the meaning of life.

I wonder whether this applies to the conjunction 'or' too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 773 • Replies: 26
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:48 am
The example sentences look perfectly correct to me, but then I was brought up on the Oxford comma. I personally ignore Swan's suggestion.

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:54 am
@centrox,
So, even if a person follows British English convention, it is OK if they use the Oxford comma?
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:58 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

So, even if a person follows British English convention, it is OK if they use the Oxford comma?

What do you mean "even"? The Oxford comma is a valid British convention. The Oxford comma is often called the "Harvard" comma in the USA. (You do know where Oxford is, and what it is famous for?)

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:05 am
@centrox,
In every article I have read, they say something like that 'In Britian the serial comma is not generally used unless it eliminated ambiguity', 'In British English we do not usually use the Oxford comma', 'the Oxford comma is not commonly practised in British English', etc.
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:40 am
@Nat093,
I would like to ask you just one more question.

Let's say that I use the Oxford comma within a piece of writing. I want to refer to an author who writes that:

In many cases compounds have different semantics from phrases. Take the phrases black bird, dark room and greenhouse. Compare their meanings with the compounds blackbird, dark room and greenhouse.

Then, if I want to paraphrase the text, should I put a comma before 'and' (just for the sake of consistency)?

For example:
Take the phrases black bird, dark room, and greenhouse and compare their meanings with the compounds blackbird, dark room, and greenhouse.

Incidentally, I have noted that many authors vary in their use of a comma withing one piece of writing.

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:56 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
In every article I have read, they say something like that 'In Britian the serial comma is not generally used unless it eliminated ambiguity', 'In British English we do not usually use the Oxford comma', 'the Oxford comma is not commonly practised in British English', etc.

You are correct. I apologise. I should have said I do not use the Oxford comma, and that this is a valid British English convention (so is using the Oxford comma). It is less used in British English than American English.
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:59 am
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
I use the Oxford comma within a piece of writing. I want to refer to an author who writes [...] Then, if I want to paraphrase the text, should I put a comma before 'and' (just for the sake of consistency)?

Yes. definitely. The paraphrase is your writing (not a quotation) and should conform to the style of your piece.

Quote:
Incidentally, I have noted that many authors vary in their use of a comma withing one piece of writing.

Yes. you will notice this from time to time.
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 01:03 pm
@centrox,
Thank you for your comments.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 01:20 pm
@centrox,
Everyone chooses what is best for them. Previously you said that you use the Oxford comma, so I am confused.
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 01:36 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

Everyone chooses what is best for them. Previously you said that you use the Oxford comma, so I am confused.

I intended to say that I do not insert a comma (an Oxford comma) immediately before the coordinating conjunction (usually and or or) in a series of three or more terms.

Why are you confused?

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 01:45 pm
@centrox,
Because you said: 'The example sentences look perfectly correct to me, but then I was brought up on the Oxford comma.'

So to sum up, in British English the Oxford comma is perfectly acceptable - it all depends on your personal preference. Am I right?
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 01:58 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
Because you said: 'The example sentences look perfectly correct to me, but then I was brought up on the Oxford comma.'

I meant to say that I was brought up not to use the Oxford comma.

Quote:
So to sum up, in British English the Oxford comma is perfectly acceptable - it all depends on your personal preference. Am I right?

In writing for your own purposes, you can choose, but if you are submitting work for publication or academic purposes you should consult the style guidance of the relevant publisher or institution. For example, the Oxford comma is so-called because it forms part of the Oxford University style guidance. Other guides recommend its omission.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/public-affairs/style-guide?wssl=1

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:04 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
.... look wrong without the comma? ...ambiguous?
Most certainly they could, Nat. Especially with the typical speedreader, the lack of a comma seems to signify some special connection between the two

We will get some static on this...

Quote:
√I wonder whether this applies to the conjunction 'or' too
Can you give us an example

Edited Nat, to observe that your fourth posting reflects what I tried to express, however haltingly
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:07 pm
@centrox,
Yes, you are right. I will do that for sure.

By saying 'I personally ignore Swan's suggestion', you meant the idea of separating longer items?
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:19 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

Yes, you are right. I will do that for sure.

By saying 'I personally ignore Swan's suggestion', you meant the idea of separating longer items?

You quoted Practical English Usage, in which Michael Swan writes that in British English, a comma is not usually used with and between the last two items unless these are long.

E.g. I spent yesterday playing cricket, listening to jazz records, and talking about the meaning of life.

I would omit that comma.

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:23 pm
@centrox,
OK. I understand now.

Could you give me a piece of advice?

If I, for example, write definition of a word from a dictionary to my notebook, such as:

overreach - to try to do more than your ability, authority, or money will allow

Should I leave it as it is or omit the comma before 'or'?
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:03 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
Should I leave it as it is or omit the comma before 'or'?

If it is to be used as a quotation, then follow the original, if not, then follow your own chosen style.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:05 pm
By the way, can you explain to me why the comma is used before 'and' and 'or' in the following definitions? What is the rule?

scoff - to laugh at a person or idea, and talk about them in a way that shows you think they are stupid

scoff - to laugh at someone or something, or criticize them in a way that shows you do not respect them
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:23 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
scoff - to laugh at a person or idea, and talk....
Nat that's really a good q. Without, while the slow reader might have some trouble with laughing at idea and talk, to clarify you might say '...and to talk...'

Cen do my ramblings make myself at all clear

Can you emphasize to Nat however, you can't make a general rule because in some cases omitting the comma might lead to potential disaster
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Comma before conjunctions in a list of items
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:57:54