I have cut my hair.

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:12 am
I have cut my hair.
I have had my hair cut.

1. Are both sentences correct to mean that I went to the hairdresser and she cut my hair?
2. Does the first sentence imply that I did the haircut myself?

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 658 • Replies: 8
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:27 am
To 'have' something done means to get someone else to do it.

1. No.
2. Yes.

Quote:
I went to the hairdresser and she cut my hair?

In the UK mostly, men cut men's hair and women cut (and style) women's hair. Additionally, men are often said to go to barber's shops, and women to hairdressing salons.

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:50 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
To 'have' something done means to get someone else to do it.

More completely, to 'have' something done or happen means that somebody else did something for or to you, or something happened, sometimes against your will:

He had a finger cut off because he could not pay his gambling debts.

He had his driving licence taken away after he was caught driving while drunk.

We had our hopes dashed when our team lost the match.

I had my windows smashed after I annoyed my neighbours.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:09 am
I had my car repaired.

We had our shoes cleaned.

My mother had her car washed.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:18 am
While what centrox has said is technically true, in the United States many people say "I have cut my hair" to mean "I have had my hair cut."
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:54 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

While what centrox has said is technically true, in the United States many people say "I have cut my hair" to mean "I have had my hair cut."
Thanks, centrox, for your detailed replies. Do British speakers also say "I cut my hair" to mean "I have had my haircut."
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:02 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Do British speakers also say "I cut my hair" to mean "I have had my haircut."

In general, when people say "I cut my hair, polished my shoes, washed my car, painted my house, mowed my lawn", (small personal things), it would be assumed they had done these things themselves. The boss of a big company might say "I closed three factories" to mean he had taken a decision which was carried out by others.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:19 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:39 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

In the UK mostly, men cut men's hair and women cut (and style) women's hair. Additionally, men are often said to go to barber's shops, and women to hairdressing salons.

In the US, many men will go to a woman's salon and have their hair cut and styled. Some older guys prefer going to a male barber and usually don't get their hair styled. Younger men enjoy having a woman cut their hair and many also have their hair styled.

A lot depends on the City/town where a man or woman gets his/her hair done.

Some men enjoy having a shave, while at the Barbers. While there,I don't think many ( if any) women shave men or even if many men would trust a woman to shave them ( sexist thing?)

Also in the US , there is an ethnic twist to where a man or woman receives a hair/nail/foot treatment. Depending on the region, in the US, there may be little interracial mixing in hair salons for men and/or for women.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I have cut my hair.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:39:59