Bloom, "aura of an election"--what does he mean?

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:03 am
"You have the aura of election upon you." I know that Harold Bloom uttered this infamous statement a while ago, but I just came across it recently.

I am not very well-read, and, perhaps as a result, I have no idea what "the aura of an election" is supposed to convey. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,775 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:11 am
(aura: halo, something which emanates from a person; atmosphere

election
\e*lec"tion\ (?), n. [f. élection, l. electio, fr. eligere to choose out. see elect, a.]
1. the act of choosing; choice; selection.
2. the act of choosing a person to fill an office, or to membership in a society, as by ballot, uplifted hands, or viva voce; as, the election of a president or a mayor. corruption in elections is the great enemy of freedom. adams.
3. power of choosing; free will; liberty to choose or act. "by his own election led to ill."
4. discriminating choice; discernment. [obs.] to use men with much difference and election is good.
5. (theol.) divine choice; predestination of individuals as objects of mercy and salvation; -- one of the "five points" of calvinism. there is a remnant according to the election of grace. xi. 5.
6. (law) the choice, made by a party, of two alternatives, by taking one of which, the chooser is excluded from the other.
7. those who are elected. [obs.] the election hath obtained it. xi. 7. )

I am wondering if Bloom is using, or playing upon this meaning of election:

5. (theol.) divine choice; predestination of individuals as objects of mercy and salvation; -- one of the "five points" of calvinism. there is a remnant according to the election of grace. xi. 5.

This would mean that, either the meaning is that the person actually has an aura of being divinely chosen, or that they have an atmosphere of being a special person, or especially fortunate, or it is an ironic use - that is that the person FANCIES themself as special in some way.

Perhaps if you could give more context?

Also - you say "aura of AN election" in topic heading, and miss out the "an" in the body of the question. I have gone with "aura of election" - but the 'an" is important. Could you clarify?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:24 am
And - here are some googled results:

http://locussolus.com/archives/000293.html

Is there where it comes from?
http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/features/n_9932/index1.html

And - here it is again, in a very different context - the Neocon version, methinks:
http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg=article&DocID=1580
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:25 am
Well - I now have the context all right!!!!

I think my guess is not far wrong about what it means.
0 Replies

Immanuel

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:05 pm
My mistake.
Yes, you are right, I put an "an" where there shouldn't be one. As for more context, Harold Bloom had been invited to dinner by one of his female students. It seems that Professor Bloom found her attractive and told her this. Many have considered it a pickup-line. Here is a link that might help:

Yale daily news

I appreciate your help in interpreting this strange quote.
0 Replies

Immanuel

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:13 pm
Duh.
You'll have to pardon me, I'm quite slow today. I see that you've already researched this and included your own links!

Thanks for your help. I am trying to use this Bloom line as material for a joke in my essay (even though I'm sure it's old news to my professor). Relying on jokes instead of good writing. Maybe I should go to the writing center at school.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
Yep - I found the story when I googled.

Amazing phrase!
0 Replies