husker

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:14 pm
Cobalt
would like the URLs to your blogs
thanks
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 06:52 am
Ok Cobalt I finally found my way over here. Now I'll give your sugestions a try. Thanks,

Pitter
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 09:49 am
Bookmarking this for future advice Smile

I use Movable Type and have also used Blogger in the past.

My blog - Shards.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:47 pm
Good Job Sugar!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:30 pm
Nice to see you Sugar and Husker, too! I am starting a new thread re: blogs because I am of the firm belief that technology and journalism is using blogging as an intermediary step into better, bigger, faster areas...so, when I've started it, will come back in this thread to give you all the link.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 07:02 pm
as promised, link:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=172783#172783

Blogging the New Technology and Journalism
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:39 am
Stupid question but are there any additional threads out there just for the posting of blog links of A2Kers and other ones they may read? I didn't want them to get lost on here but didn't want to double post a topic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:45 pm
A2K is not a medium for advertising one's sites. It might sound petty but without said rule this forum would be dominated by spam.

NOTE: I'm not talking about any of the links posted but rather teh concept of a topic used to share one's own links. That is against the rules.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:53 pm
Does this include all of the links people post for their personal art sites and personal writings pages and personal photo posting pages or does this only apply to personal non-commercial blogs?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:00 pm
Commercial activities are not a discriminating factor.

This is not a art/writings/photos vs blogs issue and I will not be dragged into attempts to make it one.

Spam takes up a large amount of the moderator's time, my time and my money (in terms of hosting the spam and paying for the bandwidth to publish it). For those reasons there are rules against using these forums to divulge links. Yes some links are allowed but my point is that there is a line somewhere.

Inevitably people will ask whet the line is so that they can get as close to it as possible, the answer is that the line is defined on a case by case basis.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:11 pm
I'm not trying to drag you into anything. I'm truly wondering what the discriminating factor is - what is the difference between them that makes one OK and one not? I've read the Terms and Services but I don't see anything that would exclude what I'm trying to include.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:22 pm
Yeah, I realized that came across the wrong way and I tried to clarify by editing my post.

Thing is, none of the spammers ever saw anything in the TOS that precluded their activities either.

You have a link in your signature that is subtle and is perfectly fine.

It is displayed on every post you make. There is nothing wrong with that (as long as the signatures aren't obnoxious, which yours isn't).

The line is hard enough to define as it is, that's why I posted my initial post.

Anywho, we digress. The point is that topics created to share one's website (with few exceptions) will be pulled. Any forum without this policy invites spam of all varieties (since there are more sites being made than sites people want to visit, inevitably the popular ones are seen as promotion mechanisms for the others).

If I told ya that since this site's creation there have been an average of over 5 spam messages a day (including batches of 500+ PMs several times) it might put this into perspective.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:26 pm
Another thing before I go back to work:

If I told you that I spent my entire lunch time today dealing with a denial of service attack and that this has happened twice in the last 4 days it would also add to the perspective.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 02:28 pm
K - thanks Craven. I hate spam Wink
0 Replies