Unsure about my future

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 09:35 am
I'm writing because I can't really talk to anyone about this, so thanks guys for reading.

I'm 28 and I've been in a relationship with a wonderful man for the last 9 years (we were each other's first). We're still living separately with parents due to job/finance issues (it is not uncommon in my country) but we plan to move in together as I find another stable job. After years of really waiting for this, I kinda got cold feet.

I was never sure if he's the one. I was always scared of committing with him in terms of marriage and having kids together. He's ready for these things though and mentions he is going to put pressure on me in a couple of years because he really wants these things. I really really want to want these things with him too and grow ready in let's say 3-4 years but I accept that we should separate as soon as possible if I ever know for sure I don't want these things at all or with him.

His job was a big problem for me, since it meant being away a lot. He told me he would stay in oil industry for 5 years then find something else. I told him I'm sorry but there's no way I can survive 5 years like this because I can't handle long distance, on and off relationship, as I'm naturally prone to mood swings. This was 5 years ago, and he's still working this way. Some months were very hard on me, some not so much. It's better now, but I still know I don't want a lifestyle like that and he still didn't found any ideas for some other job.

I'm also tired of having crushes all the time. I don't approach my crushes and wait for feelings to die off. Recent infatuation feels really intense. I barely spoke to the guy (because I avoid my crushes) and I don't have any contact with him anymore but I miss him a lot right now. Then again, I remember it always feels more intense before it dies off and I always end up thinking my boyfriend is way cooler.

I feel like our relationship is more special than what people around me have. I really do love my boyfriend and find him very attractive, physically and personality wise. He makes me laugh and hugs me all the time. We used to argue a lot and had troubles communicating. We had some darker years, with my depressive moods and him being too passive. Now we both grew so much it's almost perfect.

I'm considering therapy to sort these things out. But I feel like it would be another way to avoid responsibility for my own life.

Anyway, I would love some insight from you guys. What do you think about the situation? How would you approach sorting out these issues? I'm ok with negative feedback too, if you think that could be helpful for me. Thanks a lot!

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 11:42 am
Therapy isn't a means of avoiding responsibility for your life. To the contrary - it is accepting responsibility.

So go, and talk.

But also leave your options open. You and your boyfriend grew up together, yet you keep crushing on other people. Maybe that should be telling you something.
firelily

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 01:12 pm
@jespah,
Thanks @jespah for your help! After much consideration, I decided to end the relationship. I see things very clearly now and I'm very confident about my decision - we both deserve a happier, healthier life and we've been both settling for less. Therapy is a great solution in general, but in my case, I knew I wanted therapy to either 1) validate my decision to break up so I could survive the guilt or 2) make me realize my own immaturity and make fall out of love with crush and make me fall in love with my boyfriend again - which is silly, no therapist can make you love someone more, and in my case getting over another crush won't save the relationship that doesn't make me truly happy. So it's a good thing I trusted myself and took the ownership of my decision.

I didn't have comparison to any other relationships so it was difficult to see things clearly, so I needed advice of people who have more experience. Thanks for your help again!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Unsure about my future
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 12:14:03