TEST FOR ADMISSION TO THE U. S.

Builder

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:21 am
@ossobucotemp,
It's tough to understand why metric never made it to the US of A.

Australians made the switch while I was still in grade school, so I know the feet and inches, ounces and pounds, but prefer metric for construction.

Still talk about boat lengths in feet, though, and surfboards.
Setanta

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 03:55 am
I thought Grammar was what you call your mum's mum.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 02:53 pm
@Builder,
I remember the push for the metric system when I was just a kid. We learned about it in school and everybody said we'd be all metric within a few years. And then it all just stopped. I imagine too many slack-jawed, vacant stares put an end to that effort.
Builder

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:11 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
I imagine too many slack-jawed, vacant stares put an end to that effort.

Lots of states to bring to agreement on anything, I guess.

I would have thought that the decimal system, being so simplified, would have been preferred to one with lots of fractions involved.

Tape measures and rulers are still sold here in both imperial and metric, often side-by-side on the same device. Drill bits can be found in the old increments as well.

I can do the conversions in my head, but having to do that less and less. Not sure why the surfboard industry persists with feet and inches, but it's the way they still go, and likewise with boats, though not always.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:18 pm
@Blickers,
I have a couple of passports in my safety box, or are there three? but they are all expired. Those ugly photos don't look so bad anymore. Where the hell is that box?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:45 pm
@Builder,
Well I was involved in construction for something like 25 years, and hand drafted bunches of designs, but I have to search through fog to remember which projects involved metric.

One of my sharper memories was working with my landarch business partner and an building architect on refurbushing a rather desolate housing situation. The thing that comes to mind is that I wished I could steal the original drawings for the site and buildings, which drawings belonged to some county help agency. I had of course to give them back, but I've not seen such exquisite design drawings before or since.

OK, maybe Leonardo.
Builder

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I dabbled in some of the design software that was on the market when I was teaching construction skills. A lot of it was directed at the US market, so of course the grid on the screen and many of the materials sizes, were in imperial measures.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:26 am
We don't use no damned imperial nothing--we use U.S. Standard . . .

USA
USA
USA
Builder

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:35 am
@Setanta,
Liberia and Myanmar still use feet and inches, along with the US of A.

I'd be more concerned about using a paper currency, than how you measure stuff.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:43 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
I'd be more concerned about using a paper currency, than how you measure stuff.

That's right change the subject, it's a lot easier than admitting you're wrong.

Quote:
Fluid measure is not as straightforward. The American colonists adopted a system based on the 231-cubic-inch wine gallon for all fluid purposes. This became the US fluid gallon. Both the imperial and US fluid gallon are divided into 4 quarts, 8 pints or 32 gills. However, whereas the US gill is divided into 4 US fluid ounces, the imperial gill is divided into 5 imperial fluid ounces. So whilst the imperial gallon, quart, pint and gill are about 20% larger than their US fluid measure counterparts, the fluid ounce is about 4% smaller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems
Builder

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:06 am
@izzythepush,
You don't read too well, and have never comprehended correctly.

Feet and inches, ounces and pounds were all I discussed. Any fool could tell you that a US gallon isn't an imperial gallon.

Now crawl back under your rock.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:27 am
@Builder,
I read well enough to know that you said America used Imperial measurements. You're not honest enough to admit that, but honesty has never been your forte, it's all half truths an innuendo. Now why don't you crawl right back up Trump's backside and carry on with your fawning.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:46 am
So Americans invented feet and inches, and ounces and pounds?

That's news to this dawg.

Not sure why I waste the keystrokes on your ****, issy.

Later kiddo.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:15 am
@Builder,
Because you hate being exposed for what you are. Your argument is straight out of Hawkeye's playbook, he would always attack people's comprehension because he couldn't admit to being wrong.

My comprehension is not a problem, it's my refusal to swallow your b.s. You can't stand being shown up for what you are.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:17 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Of course, many times more people are allergic to peanuts than are allergic to walnuts and pecans, so it remains a puzzling warning.

I think it's over caution, some people are so stupid that they need the flaming obvious pointed out to them..
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:53 am
@izzythepush,
The complex enzymatic reaction causing sensitization and induces allergic ractions to nut proteins by the specific( lgE ) secreting cells is a fascinating story of how we evolved the damn things in the first place.
Whether a peanut is a legume makes no difference to the sensitized host. The proteins within the nuts and peanuts,(and in some cases stuff like lentils) are basically the same and mirror certain proteins in the bodies of parasitic worms that could infest the Medieval kids body. So, like malaria protection is a related evolutionary reaction to provide immunity against the malarial falciparum which results in sickle cell disease, attack of parasite protein as a body's genetic defense against hook worm infestations is the genetic link to nut allergies .

Having said that, I dont think its necessarily the ignorance of the customer . . The food companies ( p-nut butter makers) have scores of lawyers who try to make their client companies bullet-proof against litigation. (I dont know about the UK but over here, serial litigation is a career option for some people ).
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 06:05 am
I saw an article yesterday claiming nuts ought to be soaked before consuming. Walnuts, for instance, for eight hours. I am not able to recall all of the reasoning involved, but anybody interested could google it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 06:53 am
@farmerman,
RE peanut butter I heard on QI that it used to contain a certain percentage of insect parts which doesn't sound that nice but is actually harmless and contains protein. People really didn't like the sound of it so pesticides were used more, that got rid of the harmless insect parts but increased the amount of harmful toxins.

Sometimes it's best not to know.

Btw, I heard pistachios are legumes too.
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
Heres a Science brief about some work done back a few years ago. It addresses the evolutionary similarity between proteins from parasites and peanut butter.

Quote:
Why are millions of people allergic to peanuts or pollen, but hardly anyone seems to have a reaction to rice or raisins? Because only some of these things carry molecules similar to those found in parasites that send our immune systems into hyperdrive, according to a new study. The advance could help researchers predict what other foods might cause allergies.

Allergies begin when a type of antibody known as Immunoglobulin E (IgE) recognizes a so-called allergen—a peanut protein, for example—and binds to it. In some cases, this causes the immune system to overreact, ultimately leading to symptoms ranging from a runny nose to life-threatening anaphylactic shock.

Scientists have long argued that this mechanism originally evolved to defend humans and animals against parasites like certain worms. In developed countries, where people’s immune systems are hardly ever confronted by such parasites, the immune system may begin targeting other molecules by mistake, causing allergic reactions.
To bolster this hypothesis, a group of scientists led by computational biologist Nicholas Furnham at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine looked for similarities among 2712 proteins known to cause allergies and more than 70,000 proteins from 31 species of parasites. Using computer programs that compared the protein sequences as well as their 3D structures, the researchers identified a list of 2445 parasite proteins that are very similar to allergenic proteins. For instance, they found a protein in the worm Schistosoma mansoni that closely resembles one in birch pollen that makes people sneeze.

To see whether these predictions checked out in the real world, the scientists collected blood from 222 people in Uganda infected with the worm S. mansoni. They found that about one in six of them produced antibodies that recognized the pure worm protein. “We predicted that this protein in [S.] mansoni should be recognized by the immune system, because a fragment of it is similar to this birch protein which causes allergies,” Furnham says. It is “the first example of a plant pollen–like protein in a worm that is targeted by IgE,” the researchers write today in PLOS Computational Biology.

“It’s a very nice paper,” says Maria Yazdanbakhsh, a parasitologist at Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands. Some examples of allergens resembling worm proteins were already known, she says, but this is the first systematic look. “They present a method that allows you to identify new allergens. That’s a wonderful tool that can be applied to many things.”

One future use would be to screen new foods for possible allergens, Furnham says. The results could even help researchers design better therapies for people suffering from allergies, he argues. In immunotherapy (like allergy shots), people are exposed to increasing doses of an allergen to desensitize their immune systems. Knowing what parasite protein the allergen resembles could allow doctors to give that protein to patients instead of the pollen; that would make it easier to dose the allergy shots, as well as make the immunotherapy safer, Furnham says. “But that is a long way down the line,” he cautions.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 09:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Why are millions of people allergic to peanuts or pollen, but hardly anyone seems to have a reaction to rice or raisins?

Because rice makes saki and raisins/grapes make wine and God wants us to drink.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:50:30