Do you greet the gas station clerk before ordering?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:18 am
**US residents only please

Do you greet the gas station clerk, e.g. "Hi", before saying, "20 on 5, please"?? (assuming this is the first time you see him)

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:22 am
@liberlandio,
Odd question.

Sometimes yes, other times no. It depends mainly upon how busy he is.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:49 am
@liberlandio,
If you're friendly.
Blickers

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:13 pm
I do.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:34 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Usually we look at each other and say something, a mix of routine and friendly.
The person will be dealing with just me, or a line of people, so attention varies.

Re a greeting? I tend to sort of smile.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:45 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah, if there's a line, just the business. If not then a "hello" or even small talk.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Odd question.

Sometimes yes, other times no. It depends mainly upon how busy he is.

He's also assuming that every gas station in the US doesn't allow the consumer to pay by credit card or debit at the actual pump. Making the whole greetings question moot.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:17 pm
I learned a long time ago the value of making a habit of connecting with the people I encounter in such brief transactions in daily life ( The checkout counter in stores and at gas stations (tho credit card readers on gas pumps make those encounters less frequent).

I realized in leadership positions in the military and later some in business that if this was not an ingrained habit it would not be there for me in the, far more frequent but often brief and passing, encounters I had with the folks who worked for me. Self absorption and remoteness, even if only occasional, are usually damaging to a leader's effectiveness, and as I developed the habit I learned that I could learn a great deal in such encounters about the temper of various parts of the organization and the effects, good and bad of policies and initiatives I had made, including the assignments of group leaders.

Finally I find the practive uplifting on a personal basis.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I paid inside, x amount of money. I tended to like the clerks. I didn't need a whale of a lot of gas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 09:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
He's also assuming that every gas station in the US doesn't allow the consumer to pay by credit card or debit at the actual pump. Making the whole greetings question moot.

exactly

I don't know when the last time was that I went inside to pay
debit card goes in, lift handle, activate pump
put dispenser thingie back on rack
hit button
receipt comes out (with coupons)
I leave
roger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 10:25 pm
@ehBeth,
A bit off topic, but around here I only hope for the card to process and the machine to spit out a receipt. Sometimes they aren't accepting the card at the pump, sometimes they won't give a receipt. Sometimes, you have to make two trips into the station.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 10:49 am
Credit card skimmers have become a big problem around here and that's why I go in and greet the clerk. If I'm lucky and they're Honduran I'll get to practice a little Spanish.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6526/4fix5L.jpg

"The above picture is a real-life skimmer in use on an ATM. You can see how the arrows are very close to the reader. That is a sign a skimmer was installed over the existing one, since the real card reader would have some space before the arrows."
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469560,00.asp
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 07:15 am
@liberlandio,
Absolutely.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you greet the gas station clerk before ordering?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:22:20