Super tree

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 05:42 am
@izzythepush,
noone said plants werent. You misunderstand. I aie that the silica was an incorporated substance in those plants, (palisade cells and phytoliths in the vascular systems).

The basic point is that silicon , like carbon is an element that can act many ways in a chemical bond . We used to call em an "Amphoteric Element"
other elements , like iron and phosphorus to a lesser degree. Carbon and silca can bond to themselves in complex polymeric chains and lattices.
SO having a huge tree or plant with a silica base was my suggestion to "Take the big tree" idea away from an earth based system.

I think what separates a writer from us as readers is the writer absorbs and incorporates the why's and turns em into "why nots" I think the OP is a writer seeking validation of ideas .
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 05:47 am
@farmerman,
Heres an article about bamboo and horsetails and their transport of silica in their vascular systems

https://chempics.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/horsetail-equisetum-arvense-and-bamboo-phyllostachys-nigra/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 10:27 am
@farmerman,
You saying I'm not a writer?
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 11:11 am
@izzythepush,
You planning on becoming one? Ok Ill reserve my opinions for when you start. K?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 01:15 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

There was an old Sci Fi book written before I was a kid . It was called "Day of the Triffids"
and these were silica based life forms

do you know what word was used ?

http://www.prirodniskola.cz/media/files/John_Wyndham_-_The_Day_Of_The_Triffids.pdf (did a word search on sili, silic, silica, silico ...)
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
HMMM I wonder whether it wasnt "Night of the Triffids"

There were a number of these . The John Wyndham (Triffids I) was from like 1952 and the "Night was by someone else"

The word would be silica or hyaline" .

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 01:55 pm
@farmerman,
Nope, it was the Day of...
In on of the movie vrsions the triffids were outfitted with silicone sets in their calyx , into which fit a "driver"
Hy, Im finding out **** I didnt recall from my chilshood.

I looked at the names of the books that argued the case for silicon CENTERED life (qnd even though the chemistry says that a silica based lifeform would need a high temp to be stable by Gibbs Phase Rule, it coul happen)

Like the War of the Worlds, th trees could be set in an environment where their roots would tap into the earths MANTLE nd derive a temperature below which silicic acid could become the main vascular fluid of the plants (xylem ) or was it Phloem? (I forget which gos up and which goes down)
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
Er, Izzy is a published writer. I've still got one of his books.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 03:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I think ehbeth already told us. SCi Fi eh? COOL
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
I missed that, beg pardon.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 02:01 am
@farmerman,
I was just being a bit daft. I don't know if sci fi is the right term. There's plenty of fantastic stuff them. They're black comedies/supernatural thrillers, but they could probably do with a bit more silicon.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
American Parmesan contains wood chips (hence some degree of SiO2) So, instead of asking "Are you getting enough cheese"? To "I think you could use some more silica in your diet"

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 10:09 am
@farmerman,
I can't see that ever going down over here even post Trump. Italy is so much nearer.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not clear on that, did ehBeth say he has a book out there? If so, I missed it.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:34 am
@BlackDeep,
Has BlackDeep soiled it all by abeyance?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Super tree
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:16:10