Store-bought food... Jazzed up.

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 06:52 pm
I put Tabasco on just about everything but I'm not sure if that counts.

I buy the spicy hummus from Trader Joe's -- it's the only one I like and one of the few packaged foods I buy. I'm thinking I need to try Osso's recipe though...
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 08:10 pm
@boomerang,

it counts...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm

the original idea behind the thread:

add ingredients to something store bought that changes and improves the flavor, not just enhances it.

but there is a fine line between the two...
roger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 10:22 pm
I always catch flak over the plebian stuff I eat. Since it no longer bothers me, here's my contribution; Heat a 20 oz can of Dinty Moores Beef Stew. No add one of the little cans of sliced carrots. It dilutes the fat content, tastes at least as good, and stretches the stuff into three meals.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
sorry that the spellcheck that got away from me started a whole new subject line.

I used to take a frozen breakfast burrito and fry up a fresh egg and put it, sunnyside up, on toppa the burrito. (Instant TEx-Mex).
When I was doing work at Sandia, some of my neighbors out there used to cook dishes with a fried egg on top. It was usually quite nifty stuff.
Around here (Pennsylvania) whenever we have to make a Sauerkraut( We sometimes make it for specific friends and relatives), we always serve the sauerkraut separate from the meat entree and serve a big bowl of cooked spiced apples to mix into the sauerkraut. It does wonders to turn otherwise vile tasting crap into something that is actually good.

0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 12:33 am
First, select your finest can of condensed chicken and corn soup then ring the hotline to establish the use by date.

Brown diced chicken breast , bacon and leek in batches.

Pour the unctuous delight into a covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 250F.

Serve with packet rice cooked according to instructions.

Garnish with coriander leaves or if unavailable cilantro.

Enjoy.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 12:38 am
@nacredambition,
nacredambition wrote:

Throw a wad of the rice at the ceiling to check it's al dente.

A real 'pro tip'. Can I check pasta the same way?
nacredambition

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 12:44 am
@roger,
Quote:
A real 'pro tip'. Can I check pasta the same way?

Only when you run outa rice.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 01:45 am
@nacredambition,
My rice is all stuck to the ceiling.

Back to you.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 04:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Saved it..

I make my own salmon cakes, a mainstay, not that the recipe is ever exactly the same.
Just call me Chicklet.*

I remember little kids in Mexico trying to sell Chicklets to swarming american tourists, circa 1967.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 04:19 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I remember when the subway station poles had the vending container for Chiclets chewing gum. For a penny you'd get a little box with 2 pieces inside. As long as Mother wasn't around my fafher'd buy a box or 2 for us kids. They no longer have those vending things on our subway platforms.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 02:49 pm

at some point i replaced soy sauce with worcestershire sauce in the hummus... it has noticeably less sodium (doc's orders).

the next batch will include a 4th ingredient -- red horse radish...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 03:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

at some point i replaced soy sauce with worcestershire sauce in the hummus... it has noticeably less sodium (doc's orders).

the next batch will include a 4th ingredient -- red horse radish...

Have you tried Palomino or Pinto or Clydesdale horse radish? #neigh?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 04:59 pm
@tsarstepan,

#Nay

i always go for the Gold's...

https://iili.io/rstzQ4.jpg

added bonus --
they recently re-designed the jar so a table-spoon can fit...
0 Replies