Is the sentence and 'gathered back' OK?

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:02 pm
The youths then gathered back at the church for evening prayer and a sermon by the pastor.

1. Is the sentence OK?
2. Is gathered back correct to mean that the youths returned to the church and gathered there?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 334 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:07 pm
@tanguatlay,
Yes, the sentence is acceptable. You have confused the expression somewhat, however. "The youth then gathered back at the church for evening prayer and a sermon by the pastor." There is no standard locution "gathered back." Rather, "back at the church" is a reasonable construction to mean that they returned to the church to reform their group, which may have been separated by other activities earlier.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 11:28 pm
Thanks, Setanta.

I notice you have changed "youths" to "youth". Is there a difference?
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 12:32 am
@tanguatlay,
Yes--the difference between my correctly transcribing the text, and my having goofed up. "Youths" it ought to have been.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 03:05 am
In British English the noun 'youth' has different meanings depending on whether it is used as countable or non-countable (mass). 'A/the youth' (countable) refers to an older male teenager or young man (say under 21) whereas 'the youth' (non countable) could refer generically to a group* of (or all of) young people of either sex.

*Such as the younger portion of a congregation. (Esp. US)

These usages are not very common these days in BrE, but I have seen examples in US usage. I have heard older Jamaicans talk about "the youth" when they mean "young people today".

Thus Setanta's "mistake" was, in a way, no such thing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is the sentence and 'gathered back' OK?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 11:34:46