Frequetly/The fequently cited examples are...

Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:39 am
I have a question concerning the English articles.
Here is a passage:
According to AuthorX, stress assignment to compounds works on the basis of analogy to N+N constructions stored in the mental lexicon.
The frequently/Frequently cited examples are the street contra avenue compounds.

Should I use "Frequently cited examples are..." or "The frequently cited examples are..."?

timur

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:03 am
This is kind of paraphrasing an algebraic comparison:

- The frequently cited examples is the street.

- Frequently cited examples is the avenue.

In your opinion, which is bigger/better: street or avenue?
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:49 am
What I meant is just whether I should use "the" or not in a sentence like the above, or just in a sentence like this:

"The frequently/Frequently cited examples are X, Y, X."
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:09 am
I'd use "Frequently."

You are talking about many compound words, not just two.
Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:30 am
@PUNKEY,
By saying street compounds I mean forms like Oxford Street, London Street, Fourth Street, etc.
By saying avenue compounds I mean forms like Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, etc.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:43 am
Your sentence is:

According to AuthorX, stress assignment to compounds works on the basis of analogy to N+N constructions stored in the mental lexicon.

Examples are . . . .

(So don't use "The" because that is too specific. Unless your are going to discuss those specific examples only.)
Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:01 am
@PUNKEY,
I can see your point. Thank you.

I do not discuss them, I just say: "Frequently cited examples are the street contra avenue compounds, where the head determines the analogical pattern."
Blickers

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:41 am
@Nat093,
Use "Frequently cited examples" when you are giving only some, not all, of the examples which are cited frequently.

Use "The frequently cited examples" when your list of examples includes all of the examples which are cited frequently.
Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:36 am
@Blickers,
"Frequently cited examples are the street contra avenue compounds, where the head determines the analogical pattern."

Is that correct?

As I said above,

By saying street compounds I mean forms like Oxford Street, London Street, Fourth Street, etc.
By saying avenue compounds I mean forms like Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, etc.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:01 pm
@Blickers,
In fact, I just name types of compound that are commonly cited as a case of analogy, not specific examples.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:13 pm
@Nat093,
Nat, again context; you'd use 'The' in reference to an earlier passage in which the examples are mentioned
Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:10 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't make a reference to an earlier passage.
This is the whole text:

According to AuthorX, stress assignment to compounds operates on the basis of analogy to N+N constructions stored in the mental lexicon. Frequently cited examples are the street contra avenue compounds (already discussed in the above section), where the head determines the analogical pattern.

Is it OK then?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:21 pm
@Nat093,
If the above cited, already discussed include some examples not frequently cited, then you might need the 'The'

't'sall, once more, again, as mentioned before, in context

Cen, Infra, Man, help

In examples cited below, the instances identified by a '*' are uncommon

Typical responses worldwide
*Warnings from my BH
Times when a response isn't required

Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:28 pm
@dalehileman,
I am confused now...
dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:37 pm
@Nat093,
Quote:
confused
Help help, all; we need someone (and I know there are plntvus who qualify) who can explain better

...or is it just that I'm plain wrong

plentivus or pl'nt'vus

Okay guys, 'plenty of us'
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:49 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

I have a question concerning the English articles.
Here is a passage:
The frequently/Frequently cited examples are the street contra avenue compounds.

Should I use "Frequently cited examples are..." or "The frequently cited examples are..."?

The word 'the' is called the definite article for a reason. It is used when it is desired to state something definite or to call attention to something unique or significant. To write "the frequently cited examples are..." is to imply that the examples which follow are the most notable, or ones which are most often cited, or the ones that form the majority of citations. To write "frequently cited examples are..." just says that the examples to follow are among those which are frequently cited.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 03:12 pm
The men who like cigars... (definitely) all of the men who like cigars.
Men who like cigars... some or all (not made clear) of the men who like cigars.

Nat093

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:09 pm
@centrox,
Thank you! Now I understand.

While on the topic, let me ask you if the use of "the ones" in the following sentence is correct, or rather I should say "ones".

AuthorX points out that semantically very similar combinations (e.g. the ones expressing the names of thoroughfares) may reveal different stress pattern.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:37 pm
I think you could omit 'the' in that situation.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:27 am
Thank you all for your comments.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Frequetly/The fequently cited examples are...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 12:52:54