1
   

Shocked by a Severe Shock

 
 
Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:12 pm
Really need some help please.

I live in Ontario, in a detached house building in 1988. Lived in the house for 10+ years with no electrical issues.
Walked into the living room, turned the light switch on and got a severe shock; blew one light bulb, tripped the 15A break, and my left arm was effectively paralyzed for several hours.

The light switch is a three way switch controlling 2 ceiling mounted pot lights with incandescent flood bulbs. Plastic Decora switch, plastic cover plate with metal screws. It was dark, so I could very well have touched the cover plate screw when I pushed the switched on.

In additional to the lights, the circuit has 8 receptacles on it, but none with any draw of consequence (TV/DVD/cable box were plugged into a power bar into one outlet, floor lamp into another, but all were off).

I've had a licensed electrician check the room and he can't find any faulty wiring or anything of concern. No loose connections, no over tightened screws, grounds all appeared fine, no missing insulation or exposed wires, plugs/switches were all secure with cover plates. When the breaker was reset, the circuit worked fine and everything metered properly.

It may sound crazy, but this happened on Friday the 13th!

Anyone have any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 623 • Replies: 3
No top replies

 
ossobucotemp
 
  1  
Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:43 pm
Listening..
0 Replies
 
seac
 
  1  
Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:25 pm
@Stormshadow,
I would buy one of those touch sensors to find live electrical faults. I have a electric range that shocked me once in a while when I turned the stove knob. Using the sensor, I found the faulty wire. The sensor is a pen size device that lights up or beeps when you touch a wire or surface with voltage on them. Cost less than $20.
0 Replies
 
PUNKEY
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:24 pm
Is your house grounded?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Shocked by a Severe Shock
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/23/2024 at 03:54:38