Question re: use of an extension cord with a bounce house

ggcnbc

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:16 am
I have a small bounce house I want to use for my son's 5th bday party this Saturday. Just 7 feet in size, not the mega bounce houses you often see. I am needing to use an extension cord with it. On the fan blower it says: "Outdoor Use, Thermally Protected, Do not use an extension cord with this fan," HOWEVER, on the actual plug housing for the fan it says, "Caution. Do not use extension cord to connect GFCI to power receptacle. Use UL listed outdoor extension cords on GFCI output only. This device does not protect against electric shock due to contact with both circuit conductors or a fault in any wiring supplying this device." By saying, "use UL listed outdoor extension cords on GFCI output only," doesn't that mean an extension cord is OK to use? By the way, the outlet I would be plugging the extension cord into is GFCI protected. I'm confused. Help! I certainly don't want to create an unsafe situation. It seems impossible not to have to use an extension cord when these things are for outdoor use and the electricity isn't usually that close. Thank you in advance for your feedback!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,464 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:41 am
@ggcnbc,
I wouldn't hesitate to use an outdoor 3 prong extension cord under these circumstances. I suspect the company's lawyer was being overly cautious. Kids play in the plastic/rubber bouncy part of these things, they're not handling the metal fan, so the risk is very low unless you're operating it in a rainstorm or flood; I presume that's not the case, but even in the event of unexpected rain, the GFI outlet should do its job and shut down the power at the first hint of trouble.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 12:32 pm
@ggcnbc,
Thanks GG for that abbr, it's not everyday…..

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/GFCI

Quote:
I'm confused
Me too

Sorry I can't be of more help in spite of long electronics background for instance I'm not sure just how many receptacles are involved, whether the house itself contains a GFCI, not what exactly is a "GFCI output"

Many guys on a2k however are much more savvy than I on maters electrical and so I hope you get some help. Meantime a more thorough description of the connections to your little house might be in order
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 12:37 pm
@Banana Breath,
Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to use an outdoor 3 prong extension cord under these circumstances
Ban that was also my first reaction though why the presently GFI-protected house shouldn't be plugged into a GFI-protected outlet is kind of a mystery

More and more I'm supposing its maker is trying to convey precaution against the inadvertent use of a 2-conductor extension cord
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:21 pm
@Banana Breath,
I'm with Banana Breath. That is a lot of legalize but what you really need is an extension cord meant for heavy use. Get one as fat (same gauge) as the one on the motor. We rented a bounce house a few years back and the rental company provided us with the extension cord.
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 05:23 pm
@engineer,
A bounce house uses a simple fan, it's not even particularly high wattage, perhaps 150 watts. Outdoor extension cords are good because they're brightly colored (yellow or orange), have a thick coating to ward off stray lawnmowers and most importantly are grounded. Just don't use grandma's 2-wire lamp extension cord and you'll be fine.
0 Replies

ggcnbc

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:38 pm
Thanks for the replies. My husband thinks I am being overly cautious, but that is how I am, especially when it comes to kids!
roger

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:58 pm
@ggcnbc,
A legitimate concern. I hope you mind is now at peace.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Question re: use of an extension cord with a bounce house
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:02:03