Dating etiquette amid improperly aligned politics

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:12 am
After a self-imposed two year hiatus from dating, I decided to get out with some guy. It took a great deal of self/determination and self-flagelation, but by god, there I was at the steak house like a normal person.

I liked the way he looked, he was intelligent. I like a big man with big biceps, and all these things seemed to be promising, but I noticed there was no visceral attraction. I thought it might be because I hadn't quite completely dispatched feelings for the last guy, but it'd been two years, and I refused to be a party to another moment waiting on that to happen. Sometimes you have to get under somebody to get over somebody... So, I was working on this Plan B.

But I had to have some kind of trust, or resonance, or meaningful connection. He made some judgements remark about people with tattoos, and I winced inwardly. Is this who this guy is? My daughter has a beautiful sleeve tattoo, and I felt like he threw a cold blanket on me when he said it. So, although I continued to engage in conversation and tried to find ameliorating insights into who he was, traditional judgmental comments peppered his dialogue, and I was turned off. No second date, I decided.

He texted immediately after the date. I didn't have time to get home. He was very sweet, asking to see me again.

So, I second-guess myself and think I should be grateful someone with his better attributes was excited about middle aged, gravity-impaired me. So I go. We text uproariously, enjoy talking, but there's that barrier still.

When he starts talking sexy, it's a big turn off, so I don't want to feel like a tease, but I'm definitely not feeling it, so I tell him I need some kind of connection to continue. I was completely honest and tried to lead the conversation to the logical conclusion that we weren't right for a romantic relationship.

So, he says let's take sex off the table for a while and get to know each other. I was VERY impressed and thought this might work. Renewed hope!

More fun texting, sending fun pictures- this is PROMISING!

UNTIL he calls my attention to an argument he's having on his Facebook page. It is a patronizing screed about There's No Free Lunch / condescending story about a local black man who 'pulled himself up by the bootstraps' and made it without hand outs. Insinuating that everyone who accepts government assistance is a deadbeat.

Killed it for me.

I was polite, but told him we just weren't right for each other and I enjoyed getting to know him.

That would be a great ending for me, but last night he texted (I know after a sleeping pill and scotch) that I was a 'bad person' who 'played with people's emotions.'

I took a look on his Facebook page to get clues, and he had that awful Bob and Sally meme about being able to be friends despite conflicting political views. He commented that if Sally can't be friends because of her politics, she's a bitch.

Hmmm.

So I'm feeling unfairly maligned. Would you defend yourself by text and block him? Block him with no defense? I'm trying to put myself in his position. I know his nighttime routine, so it was the equivalent of a drunk dial.

My goals are conflicting.

I want justice.
I don't want to devolve into a worse exchange.
I would like to close it out with positive feelings and understanding.
I'm pissed and want to defend myself.
I definitely want to protect myself from repeats of this unprovoked aggression.

What would you do?

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:19 am
"Killed it for me."

Because of a FB account posting that let you know about his work ethic?

Geez, I thought I was being restrictive because I wouldn't date a smoker or a married man.

Have standards, but don't be rigid. (With all other things being in order, I'd say you called this one too soon.)
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:25 am
@PUNKEY,
Hilarious. Good on you for your married man stance.😏

It's not his work ethic, but how he judges other people.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
That's how YOU see it.

Hope you don't regret this down the line.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:25 pm
So you went on a date, found no real attraction, decided not to see him again, then went on another date. You still didn't have that certain something kind of connection. Maybe this isn't your Mr.Right.

Although you mention his judgement calls, I don't see you indicating that you told him how you feel and think on those matters. The tattoos for example gave you an open platform to give your views, yet, you seem to have stayed silent. If you can't be fully open with him on that, then maybe you need to look elsewhere. Ask yourself why you stayed silent.

Then get yourself together and either try another run with him or look for another guy. Hope it works out well, whichever direction you choose.
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks.

Since we were on our first (& I thought only) date, I deemed the point moot. But we did discuss mass incarceration of blacks. He took the general conservative argument that so many blacks are incarcerated because so many blacks commit crimes. I very patiently said some people believe that the American government selected which crimes to 'enforce' calculating which race would be more likely to commit those crimes. He did give a tiny flourish of understanding, mentioning cocaine use and pot use with a laugh. So he knew but held those antiquated views anyway.

That just smacks of intentional approval of systemic racism. Not sexy. He knew then our basic differences. He knew of my aggressive support of Bernie. He said he hated Hillary and Trump equally, and didn't vote.

I guess the bottom line for me was not the difference in our policy opinions, but how his policy opinions inform on who he is behind his eyes.

I appreciate your input.

I don't think I deserve him popping up in my texts and insulting me. I did no wrong. I think I'll block him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:44 pm
Much better understanding of your take on him with the additional info. Blocking might well be the best way to go.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:44 pm
Lash, I take the opposite stance to Punkey. You described the way you felt admirably clearly, and I have to tell you I would have felt exactly the same. There are some things that you cannot compromise on, or overlook. If I was in the initial stages of dating someone, and they revealed views that I disagreed with on a deep level, let's say they voted for Brexit or admired Trump, or thought immigrants should be deported, or in your case, poured scorn on welfare recipients, then that would be a big red flag. Couple that with mild sexual repulsion, mean abuse on Facebook, and a nasty phone call, and it would be hit the road time. All you should seek to do now is retain your dignity and proceed into the future that you wish to have. Don't waste a lot of time seeking 'justice'. Good luck.
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:10 pm
@centrox,
Thank you so much. So many competing issues, it's nice to have a sounding board.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:20 pm
Update: I did defend my behavior during our LookNSee period with a brief, calm text. Referred to his crappy text, and asked if he stood by the bit of character assassination or if it was a sleeping pill-infused indiscretion.

He apologized. I felt a little sad for him, but confident I did the right thing for me.

If it ever happens again, I'll block immediately.

Case closed. Sincere thanks to everyone who gave an opinion.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:54 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
there I was at the steak house

Before I check all the dating sites:

what did you order?

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:27 pm
@nacredambition,
All they had were enormous steaks.
nacredambition

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:50 pm
@Lash,
Next time you choose the venue.

Or tell'em to cut the eye fillet out of the t-bone then throw the bone and the porterhouse bit in the bin.

And a glass of shiraz.
Krumple

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:50 am
@Lash,
Lash, you are too smart to take this so serious. Do what the rest of us do when we realize we had a bad date. Tell our friends and have a laugh.

Lash you know the signs are there. This wouldnt be the last time you would disagree politically if you dated. It would be a constant thing.

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:22 am
@Krumple,
I take potential relationships seriously, don't you?

But it ended ok. He just never understood why I called it off. Hurt feelings that were expressed with anger. Nothing new there.

But yeah Krumple, the signs were there. Maybe you're saying I should have listened to my instincts and cut it off after the first date. You may be right.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:25 am
@nacredambition,
Yeah. I can count the steaks I've eaten in the past decade on one hand.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 02:10 am
@Lash,
Sorry, Lash, but I'm kinda with your date on this one. Not saying you should have kept dating him, just sayin that I can't really see why political views would have much to do what that.

Men and women naturally tend to have somewhat different values. No couple agrees on everything. That's part of what makes it all fun, I figure.

I really don't give a rat's ass about what the political views of my friends are, although it can be fun to argue with them about it.
Lash

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 07:19 am
@layman,
It's funny how different we can be in our personal lives. I have to respect the person I'm with, and I'd never invite arguing into my life. I'm old and I like peace.

Plus, when he revealed himself to be a Bad Breaker-Upper, I knew I'd been right about him. Petulant immaturity raging just beneath his surface.

Are you dating now?
layman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 04:49 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Are you dating now?

Naw, not really. I have some female friends I see. I may drop in on them or they may stop by my crib from time to time. But I don't really go on "dates" in the sense of a pre-arranged dinner at a pre-arranged hour with someone I don't already know fairly well. My girl friends and I may go out to eat, but that's because we've been hangin already and we're getting hungry.

I don't "chase" women anymore. If I get a new woman in my life, it's generally because I've already gotten to know them through mutual friends or some other circumstances.

I've always hated formal dates, anyway. Too contrived and artificial for my tastes.
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:08 am
@layman,
Sounds nice. It is weird to date.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dating etiquette amid improperly aligned politics
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:00:14