Adjusting one's inner clock

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:48 pm
I've read that in both spring and fall, dairy cows take two weeks to adjust to the change in time.

Of course, because the times on the clock determine the times of milking they must cope with swollen udders until they adjust.

For me, every year it gets harder--but I grow more philosophical about the ordeal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:58 pm
Oh? I thought the farmer was supposed to adjust - daylight and dusk.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:27 pm
I thought the original idea was the extra hour of daylight to work in the fields. I don't think they even considered the cows, roger. But I could be wrong.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:44 pm
Nope. Farmers will tell you they only work half a day anywa.

From dawn to dusk. Daylight savings doesn't save them a darn thing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:49 pm
You know it's all a conspiracy right?

Fnord
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:50 pm
Isn't everything?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:51 pm
i don't have to answer that, you know
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:52 pm
I believe everything is a conspiracy (unless it is the work of one person) but don't believe in conspiracy theories.

Does that make any sense? lol
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 09:54 pm
Sadly, I understand perfectly. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me or on you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:41 pm
As a former lactating mother, I assure you, Roger, that cows produce milk twenty-four hours a day and for maximum yield for the farmer and maximum comfort for the cow milking is a chore that should be done every twelve hours.

Northern cows (if they don't dry up in the winter) are accustomed to being milked by artificial light--and have been for thousands of years. Northern farmers are accustomed to doing the milking.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:43 pm
I'm late (as always) but the origination of Daylight Savings Time had nothing to do with farmers. Benjamin Franklin thought up the idea as a way for Parisians to save money on lamp oil (the primary method of ligting their houses at the time). Old Ben was a bit of a tightwad ya see.. Smile

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

Oh! Just to keep up with the theme of the thread here... I have a minature Dachshund and he doesn't fart at all. Very Happy
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:49 pm
I had no idea, fishin'. Doesn't seem to fit with the old 'early to bed' thing, though.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:59 pm
bandylu2 wrote:
I had no idea, fishin'. Doesn't seem to fit with the old 'early to bed' thing, though.

???? Minature Dachshunds go to bed whenever they want! lol
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:02 pm
Actually, I was referring to old Ben, not the dachsund.

And I have a huge golden retriever who goes to bed wherever she wants (and who farts only occasionally).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:02 pm
I personally love DST. It saves the world a lot of money. And not just money but resources.

Sure it would make more sense if we would just wake up an hour earlier instead of changing the clocks but we all know how likely that is.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:04 pm
bandylu2 wrote:
Actually, I was referring to old Ben, not the dachsund.

Oh sorry, Silly me!

(I knew that. I was just toying with ya! Very Happy)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 11:07 pm
Agreed, Craven -- I just don't understand why they don't make it permanent instead of this constant back and forth, back and forth.

fishin' -- no need to apologize. It was funnier your way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 06:44 am
Look - I'm sorry - I love animals and all - but, frankly, I am human - we clawed our way to the top of the food-chain and, as far as I am concerned, rankness hath its privileges - the cows will JUST HAVE TO SUCK IT IN AND SMEGGING WELL COPE! OK?

Sheesh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 06:45 am
and the dogs too!
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 05:32 am
wabbit)))) wabbit))))

<ya gotta shout wabbit, wabbit first thin each month fow good wuck, so I scweamed it out in wed>
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 05:43:40