Which is the correctly-punctually sentence in British English?

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 03:09 am
The word is "clever". (The full stop is outside the quotation marks.)
The sentence is "He is clever."
The sentence is "He is clever".

Which is the correctly-punctually sentence in British English and why, please?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 305 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 07:10 am
@tanguatlay,
Please help
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:33 am
"He is clever." is correct.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:42 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

"He is clever." is correct.
Is your answer from British English perspective? If so, what is the American English version?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:46 am
There shouldn't be a difference. I use Am English.

You have been told many times that the punctuation mark goes inside the quote marks. Yet you ask the same question over and over. What don't you understand?
centrox

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 09:09 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
You have been told many times that the punctuation mark goes inside the quote marks.

That is not a complete or accurate summary. British and American styles are different, which is why he asked you what he did. You should check these things first before posting rudely, like this:
Quote:
Yet you ask the same question over and over. What don't you understand?

Tanguatlay, in American style there is an iron rule. Punkey believes this is universal - it is not. British practice to put punctuation where it logically belongs. Since what you have quoted, indeed stated, is a complete sentence, in this case, then logically the punctuation belongs inside the quotes. If a complete sentence in quotes comes at the end of a larger sentence, the final stop should be inside the inverted commas. Thus,

The answer was, “You can't wash your hands in a buffalo.”

She replied, “Your jokes are execrable.”
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2017 09:41 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

There shouldn't be a difference. I use Am English.
You have been told many times that the punctuation mark goes inside the quote marks. Yet you ask the same question over and over. What don't you understand?
Hello, Punkey.

Indeed, I have never been told that the punctuation mark goes inside the quote marks in British English. And how could I have asked the same question over and over again if your answers are based on the American version. I use British English and hence accept only answers from a British English perspective.

It's unfair to ask me why I didn't understand because your replies are related to American English usage.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which is the correctly-punctually sentence in British English?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:05:32