Ant's method of suicide

panzade

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:34 am
Well Verbal, you put the kabosh on our fun little game. It's over...move along please.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:34 am
Reeeeg! How do you always have a graphic ready?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
Very Happy
thanks, guess u could call it a hobby...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
Verbal lee wrote:
Child of the light,
they actually starve to death, unless they find a colony with another queen nearby.

Why would they starve to death? It is they who find the food - not the queen.

I have read that termites die very quickly without their queen, though - just sort of stop...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:22 pm
Look into the face of grief....

http://www.evergreen.edu/ants/genera/formica/species/podzolica/JTLC000003370_face.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:46 pm
It is nothing like you imagine.

The news is passed through the colony, it is a shock not unlike that of the death of a boy-king or the assassination of a hero. The word is passed thus : There is no Queen. Not, the Queen is dead, that would be an invasive comment on the private circumstance of the most regal, no, just this : there is no Queen. All know what this means.

For some the end comes quickly, the mere thought, the knowledge of, the absence, of a Queen is such a psychic blow that the termination of life comes as a mere willing stoppage, an inability to breathe in a world without royalty.

Others hold on for hours in their grief and anger. They sway between the two emotions, bleating their complaints to the universe at one moment and dissolving into tears of utter sadness in the next. Broken, they cease to demand the very breath which keeps them in existence and they fade away finally in the puddles of their tears.

Lastly, the thinkers gather, those with emotions already long dead, to ponder what if anything the future holds for them and they speak to each other seeking any handhold in the bitter empty world they live in. They find none, even the most optimistic of them finally only offers that they might live alone for two more hours before expiring, so they go to the vast expanse of sidewalk bordering the colony and stretch out in the sun's warmth, waiting for it to dry them into little kernels of antdom.

Joe
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:16 pm
Joe, you are the coolest.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:19 pm
I think he has become one, with the ants :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:23 pm
Joe, that was great. Smile
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:23 pm
This shows how much i know. I always thought they drowned themselves in vats of chocolate.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:25 pm
Acquiunk: Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
Joe ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:12 pm
Great piece Joe! You do indeed rock.

I have heard that wasps also commit suicide, usually when Jews join their country clubs. I'm not sure of the method, but somebody told me that they tend to beat themselves to death with coffee table books filled with many pictures of the uberland.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:12 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:30 pm
Frankly, i have never witnessed the ants to commit suiside.
Have you?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
John-Bush wrote:
Frankly, i have never witnessed a ant commit suiside.
Have you?

Yeah, my uncle was having gay sex with my cousin and I guess it was too much for ole Rita to take.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
Thanks, once again, for showing what great writers we have here, Joe.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:00 am
Good one COTL

JB in english, your fathers brothers wife is called an aunt.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:23 am
yeah i know.
aunt stands for father's younger sister, father's elder sister, father's younger brother's wife, father's elder brother's wife, mother's younger sister, mother's elder sister, mother's younger bother's wife, mother's elder brother's wife.

all of them call "aunt"

and in Chinese we have enough words for each of them :wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:30 am
Of course, half of American pronounce 'aunt' as 'ant' and the rest of us say 'aaawnt' so we don't get the joke.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:51:46