Heels - How many women wear heels on a regular basis?

carrie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
I can honestly say that I have chosen to wear a heel three times:

1. At my Dad's wedding where I was a brideamaid
2. At a funeral
3. At my partner's graduation ball

I was just wondering if anyone out there doesn't wear heels either, or loves them, or is indifferent...

Just wondered, as when I wear heels I feel physically sick, so does my mum......

Hmmmmm......lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:48 am
As a younger person, I wore spike heels, and shoes with pointy toes. As I got older, I wore 2" Cuban heels, with rounded toes.

Now that I am retired, with hammer toes (from the spike heels) and back problems, I wear only sneakers and sandals with sturdy wedge heels. I have one pair of black leather pumps with a wide toe and a small heel, that I will wear in a pinch. (and I mean pinch! Laughing )
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:52 am
I only wear them in bed.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:11 am
I feel I'm too tall for heels. They make the men I'm around uncomfortable too.

So Joah & heels is a no go.

When I was single, I did have a pair of 2 inch rounded heels (boots kinda - casual wear) and I'd wear them to class. Funny when you're in an elevator and all the guys look "up." hehe I still have them in hopes I can slide them on again. I guess because they're thick and not "pointy heels," I feel comfortable.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
I never ever wear heels. Never even owned a pair.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with heels. I never wore 'em, really (maybe 2-inch boots) until I had to start dressing the part of executive in L.A. Then I started wearing them all the time. For whatever bad reasons (socialization etc.), they do look great. I had a lot of fun with being totally dressed up -- got to have my cake and eat it to. (Be dressed to the nines all the time but with a certain ironic detatchment... I needed to do it to do my job effectively, you see...)

But yeah, my feet started being pretty unhappy about it. I stopped wearing them when I was about 5 months pregnant, and as a stay-at-home mom have stuck to highish but comfortable heels. (Like chunky-soled Reaction boots, probably 2" at the back but a good 3/4" at the front, too.)

My feet are back to normal -- no hammertoe, no calluses, just smooth and pink and happy. BUT, I miss the dressed-up part. Just wore my favorite 3.5" heels out to eat a bit ago, definitely had to re-adjust. Was fun to wear 'em, though.

One of the moms at my daughter's preschool is always wearing spike heels, 3-4 inches, while lugging around her younger daughter (18 mos or so) -- THAT I don't get. But I like wearing them occasionally.

Read this article a while back, gave me pause...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/31/health/nutrition/31foot.html?ex=1251691200&en=2f34c3278d63dd1e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Quote:
Regular tight shoes put pressure on nerves and even damage them, and also contribute in the long run to arthritis, doctors say. Shoes with pointed toes or stiff soles, like the leather versions common in many high-quality shoes, can impede the foot's mechanical function by limiting toe and ankle flexibility, said Dr. Thomas Novella, who practices podiatric medicine in Manhattan and counts many professional dancers and athletes as well as leisure-time runners among his patients.

"Metatarsal pads or stiff shoes inhibit the toes' range of motion and can make you lose toe strength," Dr. Novella said. "You are cheated of the power of your toes, those little muscular soldiers lined up in your feet that are there to help carry you forward."

Dr. Novella said inflexible toe beds were one of the most common causes of shin splints. "If you can't push off with your toes, you begin to pull up or grip with them," he said. Because tendons in the toes attach to the tibia, when the toes tug, it can register in the shins.

Tight shoes also can produce foot deformities in the toes, and can lead to symptoms from deformities that might otherwise go unnoticed, said Dr. Gary Jolly, president of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, who practices in Hartford. People have a genetic predisposition toward bunions and hammer toe deformities, he said, but shoes are often the factor that turn conditions into problems.

"Almost all bunion surgeries are done on women," he said, adding that because men's shoes normally fit the natural contours of the foot and have plenty of space inside, men may have bunions but no pain.

"I don't remember the last time I did a bunion surgery on a man," Dr. Jolly said.

(edit: fixed formatting)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Big problems with shin splints and my left knee mean that it's hard for me to wear heels any higher than about an inch. I also have huge feet, so I have a lot of trouble finding anything terribly feminine in my size (that's okay, I'm not big on dainty shoes).

Interesting article, soz. What are metatarsal pads?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
edit
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:48 am
I dunno! I did a search, they seem to be some sort of cushion.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
Another thing. Big feet just don't look right in the latest fashions. I went to Nordstrom's and tried on all the Jessica Simpson/Sex in the City shoes, and my friends were embarrassed and wanted to leave. hahaha

I'm only a size 8 1/2-9, but they looked a LOT different on my gf's feet (cute and small).
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
I only wear them in bed.

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:58 am
I wear them, despite being 5'9"!

High heels don't have to be tight and bothersome - good leather shoes
feel comfortable no matter if they have a heel or not. I love to wear
dresses and skirts and flat shoes don't look as good in them.

I have no hammertoe or calluses, although I go regularly for a
pedicure (alone the foot massage is heaven).

Bottomline: I just like heels! Smile
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
Heels are very sexy. I always stare at girls when they wear them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
High heels give women the covetous onion butt look....there's nothing sexier.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 10:07 am
You bet I wear heels!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Heels - How many women wear heels on a regular basis?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:29:12