Words in direct quotations

centrox

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 04:25 am
Here is the contrary situation discussed on the style blog of the American Psychological Association. You will find that for academic writing that you do, there will be style guidance provided or indicated by the academic institution to which you will submit the finished work. If you are writing for yourself, seek out a good style guide or guides in the English variants you envisage using.

Link to page (which includes further useful links)

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/10/british-spellings.html

Quote:
British Spellings

by Timothy McAdoo

This week, I look at another frequently asked APA Style question! Though the answer is true for other languages, too, the question is most often framed around British spellings.

Question

When an article or book title includes British spellings, should I “fix” them in my reference list? Also, what if I include a direct quote? Should I change spellings or use [sic]? I read somewhere that APA Style requires spellings to match those in the APA Dictionary of Psychology or Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary.

Answer

The Publication Manual’s spelling guidelines apply only to the original writing in your paper.

For references, keep the spelling in titles and other elements exactly as they appeared in the original. That is, cite what you see.

For instance, if you cite this scholarly tome, keep that u in colour!

Trooping, T. C. (2012). Who rotated my colour wheel? London, England:
Neal’s Yard Publishing.

Likewise, if you quote from the text, keep the original spellings. There’s no need to use [sic], as these are not errors.

Trooping (2012) said, “only when you allow your colour wheel to turn will you recognise the aesthetic ‘complements’ you’ve received” (p. 10).

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:48:48