new driver or newly-passed driver

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 09:57 pm
I passed my driving test recently.

Do I say that I am a new driver or I am a newly-passed driver? If neither, how should it be expressed?

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 311 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 10:30 pm
@tanguatlay,
You should say you are a new driver. Unless unlicensed driving is the common thing in your country, (I doubt that is the case), the listener will assume you first passed your driver's test before you started driving.
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:28 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks, Blickers.

You're right. There is no unlicensed driving where I live.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:34 pm
In Britain, being a new driver starts as soon as you drive under supervision. To learn to drive you need a 'provisional' licence*, which carries restrictions - you have to be accompanied by a fully licensed** driver aged at least 21 who has held a full licence for at least 3 years. You have to display white plastic plates with a big read L (for 'learner'} at the front and back of the car. You are a 'new driver' as soon as you start taking accompanied driving lessons. Once you pass your test and get a full licence you can (but don't have to) display plates with a green P (for 'probationary') to indicate to other road users that you are still a 'new driver'. Such people are referred to as 'newly qualified drivers'.

*By the way, that is how we spell 'licence' (noun) in Britain.
** And that's the verb.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » new driver or newly-passed driver
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:50:49