The down arrow revisited

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:15 pm
Lemme explain about them "X" 's

Evidently the down arrow isn't an approved method of curtailing the listing because it implies disapproval

So another approach is simply to momentarily access the posting, enter an "x," return, then update listing by click curvy arrow. Now at least the red "NEW" will have disappeared so next time it won't distract

You'll thank me

centrox

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:30 pm
Not sure what you mean, dale. Why make a post with just an X in it? What for? As a kind of bookmark? So the thread appears in 'My Posts'? I think posts that just say 'x' are annoying.

And what has this got to do with 'down arrows'? What down arrows?

timur

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Except that to many posters, a "x" means a kiss..

Wikipedia wrote:
The common custom of placing "X" on envelopes, notes and at the bottom of letters to mean kisses dates back to the Middle Ages, when a Christian cross was drawn on documents or letters to mean sincerity, faith, and honesty. A kiss was then placed upon the cross, by the signer as a display of their sworn oath.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
You'll thank me

No, I won't.

Now stop carping about such insignificant glop and get on with your life. You see, I find it easier to just ignore those topics which offend my sensitivities ( unless it's something truly putrid). When I log on again, those items are no longer highlighted as new and so, my viewing experience is much more pleasant.

Additionally, when you down vote the thread, if there are a gazillion others doing similar, then the topic...which may be quite useful and informitative, is obscured from viewing by everyone. This means you might miss out on discovering who the guest of honor will be at the annual Apple Valley Barbeque.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 03:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis - you can, in y0ur preferences page, choose not to have threads collapse because others use down votes.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 03:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Oh...

...So much for my new year's resolution not to learn something new on Wednesdays.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 03:13 pm
Dale, to get rid of the red NEW, just refresh the page. No need to annoy the rest of us with x's on posts.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 05:21 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Not sure what you mean, dale.
Lord Cen, sometimes I don't either

Quote:
Why make a post with just an X in it? What for? ...are annoying
I was under the mistaken impression that to achieve deletion of the red NEW, it would be necessary first to establish a posting. As it turns out I was wrong so that step can be skipped

Quote:
What down arrows?
I must have meant thumb down. Just wait 'til you're 86
dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 05:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
when you down vote the thread, if ...is obscured from viewing by everyone
Thanks Stur I wasn't aware of that particular technicality. But as I inferred in my OP, I've quit doin' that tho as Osso says above, you can always avoid the possibility, tho entailing even more keystrokes

Quote:
... easier to just ignore those topics
Except of course Stur when you feel compelled to help the oldfella. For years I'd been saying much the same: If you don't like me, don't read by postings. But even that didn't work, apparently 'cause it required too many additional keystrokes--by somebody--somewhere
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 05:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
just refresh the page
Thanks Oss but so I finally learned as you can see from the later posting
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 05:35 pm
@dalehileman,
smiles
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 07:45 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
I was under the mistaken impression that to achieve deletion of the red NEW, it would be necessary first to establish a posting. As it turns out I was wrong so that step can be skipped

Does this mean you've stopped posting "x" in every single thread?

(By the way, now all of those threads will show up in your list of threads that you've posted in.)
newru21

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:48 pm
Oh...So much for my new year's resolution not to learn something new on Tuesday.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Does this mean you've stopped posting "x" in every single thread?
Sure enuf Ora

Quote:
(... all ...show up in your list of threads...)
Alas, Al, Also they All do
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
@newru21,
Quote:
.So much for my new year's resolution
My most stringent apologies New

Quote:
ru21
? No, in fact 86, And, doubtless Also, accounting for All the Alarm; Alas, no Alibi Allowed
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 05:10 pm
@oralloy,
Still Ora I might have to resort to the "x" since otherwise the NEWapparently returns next time somebody else responds

These things always turn out more difficult....
So any more ideas....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
such insignificant glop
Yea Stur many could get that impression at a quick glance but the down-arrow ambiguity is serious to many of us. Maybe you could suggest a better way to curtail a listing

...but permanently so it doesn't come back without your new posting

But thanks Stur for your interest
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
just refresh the page
Yea Osso that does temporarily erase it but then later it comes back....
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:05 pm
@dalehileman,
The red NEW is for posts you haven't looked at yet, but if you don't refresh the page, you'll still see the red new. You can go to the New Posts page, and get rid of all the reds you have looked at by refreshing the whole new posts page (not just the immediate page the post is on).

I just caught on - you want to erase the post since you read it? Or merely get red of the red NEW?

THREADS - if you don't want to see them or are finished reading the thread and don't want to see it again, then thumb down. Most of us do that easily with subject matter we are not at all interested in; it's a kind of housekeeping.
POSTS ON THREADS - if you don't want to see someone's post, down thumb it, or put the person on ignore. Most of us let stuff that we don't like go, or we'd be down thumbing way too much and it can be kind of mean. If you've already read it and are fine with it, just refresh the page and the red New will go away.

Some of us try hard not to downthumb posts, and do that relatively rarely, resorting to discussion or arguing, just letting it go, or resorting to ignore. On the other hand, rewarding interesting posts with a thumb up is a friendlier move.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks Oss but it does entail just a whole lot of additional keystrokes and so at risk of repetition, I still hope a2k Management or whatever it's called hereabout, will devise some new and quick way to delete the entry in a listing

1. Forums
  2. » The down arrow revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:54:32