Difference in meaning between sentences.

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:36 am
I met her today.
I have met her.

What is the difference in meaning?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 441 • Replies: 11
No top replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:44 am
The difference is specificity on when the meeting happened. Is that not obvious?
timur

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:50 am
@blatham,
No, the difference is not obvious, especially for an ESL.

Adding the "specificity" makes it even less obvious.

Advice on language should be adapted to the level of the question asked.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:43 am
I have met her is a sentence using the present perfect tense. This means we cannot know when the subject of the sentence met the object. In fact, specific time markers like today and yesterday would be incorrect if added to the end of a sentence in the present perfect. Time markers, however, that aren't specific like once and before, which show how frequently the subject has met the object, are fine. All we know from the sentence you have given, I have met her, is that the subject, I, has met the object, her, at some point in time. That could be 30 years ago or an hour ago.

I met her today is a sentence using past tense. This means the meeting between the subject and object happened sometime earlier today. We cannot know when exactly from the sentence but we do know they met today. In the other sentence, we don't know that.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:54 am
Thanks, perennialloner, for your cystal-clear detailed reply.

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:10 am
@tanguatlay,
Apologies of my reply seemed rude but your use of English seems quite advanced (ie "crystal-clear detailed reply"). And may I ask, is the term "specificity" less easy for you to understand than "present perfect tense"?
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:06 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Apologies of my reply seemed rude but your use of English seems quite advanced (ie "crystal-clear detailed reply"). And may I ask, is the term "specificity" less easy for you to understand than "present perfect tense"?
Thanks, blatham, for the compliment.
The word "specificity", to me, doesn't drive home the point that the sentence in the present perfect tense.
Perennialloner's explanation is detailed and easy to understand.
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 10:54 am
@tanguatlay,
That's very interesting. What is your native language and how are you going about mastering English?
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:46 am
@blatham,
I have used British English since I was a child. It's not easy to master English, which I learn every day. I believe learning is a daily process. In this way, I hope to have a good command of English. At this stage I think my English is mediocre, at best.

What about you? Are you a native speaker of American English? Or a British English native speaker?
blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 03:09 pm
@tanguatlay,
Your written English is very good. I'd have no reason to guess it wasn't your first language. Your sentence structure and even your punctuation is quite proper and careful.

I'm Canadian so my English is closer to how Americans speak and write (Canadians and Americans share many more idioms than either of us do with the British). In the US there is quite a range of accents but that's much less true in Canada where only Quebec and the Maritime provinces show considerable local variation.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@blatham,
Thanks again, blatham, for the following kind words.

Your written English is very good. I'd have no reason to guess it wasn't your first language. Your sentence structure and even your punctuation is quite proper and careful.
timur

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 12:56 pm
@tanguatlay,
Hehehe!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Difference in meaning between sentences.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/02/2024 at 07:44:28