laundry detergent/softener combo

iscosha

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:46 pm
Could someone please help me with finding that very soapy clean smelling detergent or softener. I want something that just smells clean. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 603 • Replies: 16

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:52 pm
@iscosha,
I think most of them end up with clean smelling laundry, even if they have to add something just for the scent.

Fabric softener is often a bad choice. For winter clothing, it can impair the insulating ability. For summer clothing intended to wick moisture, that ability is also degraded.

As a matter of fact, fabric softener is mostly used by women to mark their territory. You might notice that when a young lady meets a nice, personable, and prosperous looking man, she will take a discrete sniff. If she gets a whiff of softener, she will quietly move along.
centrox

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
I hate those laundry smells. They give me asthma. I mean they really give me asthma. Sometimes when people are walking by I can't get my breath and they have this artificial floral smell that comes from this stuff. The effect is about as subtle as a brick hitting your head.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:20 pm
@centrox,
Yes, but it's a nice smelling brick, isn't it?
0 Replies

iscosha

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 05:47 am
@centrox,
I don't want anyone to have an asthma attack,I just want my clothes to smell clean when they come out of the dryer. Mine always have a musty smell to them. Never had an issue before I got HE front loaders.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:30 am
@iscosha,
First and foremost, this is an international forum. As it stands, no one can clearly answer this question without knowing what country and/or state you live in.

Any answers will vary wildly from England, Canada, Australia, the US, to any non-English speaking countries that populate this site.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:44 am
Have you checked your water level at the wash and rinse cycles?

What soap are u using?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:20 am
Some front loaders can get a moldy smell and you can get products to deal with mold in the pipes, pump etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
@iscosha,
iscosha wrote:
Never had an issue before I got HE front loaders.

that's the problem

front loaders often have problems with mold/mildew (which cause their own set of allergic reactions in people)

make sure the hoses are all clear and clean

wipe out the machine regularly

you may need to keep the door open when the machine/s not in use

if it is in an enclosed space like a closet - the door to the closet may also need to be kept open - as well as the door to the machine
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:38 am
@roger,
Anyone living in cold climates tends to use fabric softener to prevent static and static cling. It's a major problem. Live was much better once good fabric softeners were invented.

No one's sniffing men to find out if they've got a woman doing their laundry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:39 am
@centrox,
Better fabric softener smell than an allergic reaction due to pollen on people's clothing and linens from them being dried outside.

and the horror of nasty , crunchy towels

ptoooey
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

iscosha wrote:
Never had an issue before I got HE front loaders.

that's the problem

That was my first thought as well.

I have a top loading HE. I keep a rolled up hand towel to put next the hinge of the door so when not in use, there's an opening of a few inches to let air circulate.

When I'm loading the machine, I always put in maybe 1/2 cup of baking soda as well.

Re static cling, have you tried white vinegar in the rinse?
centrox

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:51 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I keep a rolled up hand towel to put next the hinge of the door so when not in use, there's an opening of a few inches to let air circulate.

Yes. I have a front loading Zanussi and after a wash I always wipe the door with kitchen roll paper especially the glass, and leave it open around 1 inch for a few hours. When it started to smell a bit fusty I Googled and found a tip which was to buy some biological washing tablets and use them to do a boil wash cycle with nothing in the drum to kill any mold or mildew type buildup in the internal pipes and plumbing, the drain hose, etc. My wife and I tend to use a "sensitive skin" laundry liquid that has no perfume or conditioner because we get itchy from regular laundry products, and maybe that helped the moldy stuff get a hold. We made it do a couple of long rinse cycles too.

We found the bio tablets had a really strong smell, kind of like air freshener, in fact when we opened the package it stunk out the house in a way we didn't like (I have asthma and it made me wheeze too). We decided to leave the box of tablets by our front gate with a "Please take" notice and they were gone in half an hour.

I don't know if the OP can get this type of laundry product? I guess they have them everywhere? Or you can get washer cleaner products

http://www.affresh.com/assets/images/img-Washer-CleanerNew.png

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:12 pm
Affresh = $$$

Rolled up handtowel = free

I leave the towel in there all the time, because even after a few hours and a wipe down, there will still be moisture. The only problem is a closed environment.

That would be harder to do with a front loading, but a solution wouldn't be hard.

When I first bought my HE, there was a coupon or sample of that Affresh stuff.

My personal take on it is "here's one more invented product for an invented problem for us to go out and spend (waste) money on."

Circulating air
baking soda
white vinegar

The Holy Trinity for a clean home.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:19 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Re static cling, have you tried white vinegar in the rinse?

that's ok in the summer - doesn't help in winter
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Major Winter static. I remember that well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iAFNoteMVXc/TV6ku5KKA2I/AAAAAAAAENo/9WbBYPOzsaI/s1600/static%2Bcling.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:33 pm
@chai2,
ha!

in my FB memories the other day there was a note about the time I got halfway to the subway station with the dog's winter jacket static cling attached to the back of my winter coat. her jacket went into the dryer with a fabric softener sheet the next day

I miss the neighbour who peeled the little jacket off me. Nice guy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » laundry detergent/softener combo
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:38:48