hypothesis vs. theory

Nat093

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 02:55 pm
Can I use "theory" instead of "hypothesis" in academic writing to mean " an idea that is suggested as an explanation for something, but that has not yet been proved to be true" ?

Can these terms be used interchangeably?

centrox

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 03:14 pm
They are not interchangeable. A hypothesis is an attempt to explain phenomena. It is a proposal, a guess used to understand and/or predict something. A theory is the result of testing a hypothesis and developing an explanation that is assumed to be true about something. A theory replaces the hypothesis after testing confirms the hypothesis, or the hypothesis is modified and tested again, until predictable results occur.

So, a person might make an observation and immediately form a hypothesis about why something happens the way it does. He or she then tests the hypothesis, modifies it if necessary, and eventually develops a theory. The hypothesis might change significantly as testing occurs. A hypothesis can be right or wrong, but a theory is supposed to be true based upon the scientific method. So, when a hypothesis has been verified to be true, it becomes a theory.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 03:24 pm
Despite the thumb down, my answer stands.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 04:55 pm
@centrox,
Cen forgive but what thumb where

Oops, edited to report a retmem. Doubtless you mean in a listing, the one to the left

I've never fully understood, 17 years now or is it 18, about these thumbs. I often use the downthumb to curtail a listing but I've always wondered if that might be construed as a criticism of some sort

Cen thanks for causing me to think a little
centrox

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 05:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
what thumb where

Shortly after I made the post, it was voted down from the standard 1 that all posts get, to 0 (zero). The simplest interpretation is that someone had clicked the thumb down icon. Now it is up to 2 so I feel vindicated.
centrox

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 05:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I often use the downthumb to curtail a listing but I've always wondered if that might be construed as a criticism of some sort

I believe the standard use for these is to signify either approval or disapproval. I imagine if you go thumbing down willy-nilly just to hide posts for the sake of convenience you are going to annoy people and muddy the waters perhaps.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
so I feel vindicated
Cen indeed you should. Management or wateverucallit should do something about the ambiguity of that down-arrow

Code:you are going to annoy people
Not yet but supposing some quiet protest or at least disappointment. Still think there's gotta be a better way to curtail a listing

...with apologies to all
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:46 am
Thank you for your useful comments!
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:23 pm
@Nat093,
Wha Nat, who, me
Surely not...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » hypothesis vs. theory
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:20:26