Does my sentence make sense?

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 08:33 pm
Although the workmen had left, the drain was still choked.

Is the sentence correct to mean that the drain remained choked despite the fact that the workmen had left?

I wonder if my friend is correct in saying that my sentence doesn't make sense. He says the drain of course was choked because the workmen were no longer there. I don't understand his logic.

Please let me know whether if he is correct.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 463 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:37 pm
@tanguatlay,
Your sentence makes perfect sense. Your friend is wrong. Just because the workmen left doesn't mean they had fixed anything.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 10:05 pm
The "although" conjunction clause must contrast with the main clause. It just doesn't make sense.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 11:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

The "although" conjunction clause must contrast with the main clause. It just doesn't make sense.
Thanks, Punky.

Are you saying that my sentence doesn't make sense?
roger

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 11:11 pm
@tanguatlay,
Wait for Contrex
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 11:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wait for Contrex
I agree with you, roger. Contrex always takes great pains in answering questions.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:16 am
A native speaker would probably guess that the workmen had been trying to unblock the drain, and had been unsucccessful. However it really needs introductory material to justify the 'although', which is hanging unsupported in the original sentence.

The workmen visited to attend to the drain while I was at work. When I arrived home in the evening, although the workmen had left, the drain was still choked.

We would probably say 'blocked' rather than 'choked', at least in the UK.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 03:27 am
Thanks, contrex.

No wonder PUNKEY and roger thought differently. And since you said a native would understand, I can't help thinking I'm half-native.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does my sentence make sense?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 07:27:07