HELP! emailed a link from FB and now recipient has access to my account

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 02:16 am
I emailed a video link of me playing a song on the piano from my FB page to someone. Now when they open the link, not only can they see the video but at the top of the page is like looking at my Facebook page. There is my name, home page, find friends. If this person clicks on any of those it takes them to that page. It allows this person full access to my account (passwords, private messages, etc...) This info at the top of the page (my name, home page, find friends) is only visible if I am signed in. If I am logged out, there is the empty boxes asking for email address and password to sign in.

I deleted the video from my FB page so when you open the link you get the message that the video is no longer available BUT the other information is still at the top of the page granting access.

How can i change a setting that will deny this person access to my account when I am signed in? PLEASE HELP!

Skeleton

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 03:04 am
Change your password. If they can still get into your account then file a report about it.
jespah

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 05:11 am
@jaxon360,
That's not access to your account. That's your page.

Access to your account is your password.

If it bothers you this much, go into your privacy settings and tighten them. Changing your password is probably not strictly necessary, but feel free to do so if it gives you peace of mind.
jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 03:41 pm
@jespah,
when I sign in to Facebook, it also signs in the person with the link I sent. So when I am signed in, they can click the link, click on my name or home page and access all my account information, my private messages, etc... When I sign out, it also signs out the link. It's like the two are synced together.

I can change my password 1,000 times but as long as I use the new password to sign on to my Facebook page, it automatically gives the hyperlink access to my page/account. They would only need a password if they try to sign on when I am logged out

Facebook showed this to be an easy way to send a link of a fb video that you wanted to share with someone who did not have to have Facebook to view the video. It showed it as simply sending the link to that video. It did not mention that your also giving that person access to your page/account!
0 Replies

jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 03:45 pm
@Skeleton ,
when I sign in to Facebook, it also signs in the person with the link I sent. So when I am signed in, they can click the link, click on my name or home page and access all my account information, my private messages, etc... When I sign out, it also signs out the link. It's like the two are synced together.

I can change my password 1,000 times but as long as I use the new password to sign on to my Facebook page, it automatically gives the hyperlink access to my page/account. They would only need a password if they try to sign on when I am logged out

Facebook showed this to be an easy way to send a link of a fb video that you wanted to share with someone who did not have to have Facebook to view the video. It showed it as simply sending the link to that video. It did not mention that your also giving that person access to your page/account!
Builder

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 04:39 pm
@jaxon360,
The only way you could know this is happening, is if you have access to this other person's computer, without their knowledge.

Facebook is spyware, through and through, but it's purely paranoia to think that sharing a link to a video gives just one other person access to your driver's seat for your page.

If it worked that way, then everyone who has that link also has access to your control panel.
jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 07:53 pm
@Builder,
ok, im not very tech savvy so have patience with me. I really appreciate your feedback! I sent the same link to MY email. When I open my email and click on the link is when I see my Facebook name, home page & find friends on top of the page. I click on my name and it opens my page where you can change all kinds of settings and retrieve private messages, etc...

Does that make sense?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 08:04 pm
@jaxon360,
Log out of your facebook completely - on all of your devices.

Now try to follow the link.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 08:05 pm
@jaxon360,
jaxon360 wrote:

when I sign in to Facebook, it also signs in the person with the link I sent.

Does the other person tell you that they are in your account?
jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 08:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I emailed the other person and told them not to open the hyperlink because it might contain spyware or malware. Ok, I told a little white lie. I thought if I could just get them to delete email before opening link......... problem solved. I have not heard back from them yet. Of course I would have to trust that they actually did delete and are not using the link.

Do you think that when I open the link that I see my Facebook info (name, home page, etc...) at top of page because I am logging in on MY laptop that has all MY Facebook info on it? Is it possible that when the recipient of the email clicks on the link that they do not see my personal info that I see or have access to my page like I do?

If i go to my mail and open "sent" and then open the email that I sent this person and click on the link, I see my personal info at top. Thats what made me think that they are seeing the same thing but maybe I am wrong
0 Replies

jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 08:36 pm
@ehBeth,
If I log out (which i am now) and open link, it just gives me the option to sign in using email and password. to buy me time, i currently have deleted my Facebook account to keep anyone from accessing my information. I have a few days to change my mind so if I were to sign in now it would cancel the delete command and reactivate my account. i just don't want to do that until I am sure that the link I sent this person can not allow them the same access I have anytime I am signed in because I am usually signed in to Facebook several hours a day
jaxon360

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2016 11:23 pm
@jaxon360,
Do you think it's possible that when I open the link on MY laptop that Facebook automatically signs me in to my account and thats why my info is displayed at top of page. Is it possible if the same link is opened on a completely different computer that does not have any of my Facebook info stored on it that only the sent photo/video is shown and they don't see my sign in information at the top of the page....... the info I'm seeing from my computer. I think in my Facebook preferences I have selected to automatically be signed in to Facebook so that I don't have to enter email and password everytime I want to sigh in. That would make sense that if I opened a Facebook link that it would sign me in
Builder

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 03:11 am
@jaxon360,
Quote:
ok, im not very tech savvy so have patience with me.

We have already. Follow some basic hints offered here.

Quote:
When I open my email and click on the link is when I see my Facebook name, home page & find friends on top of the page.

It's your page. You have opened your own facebook page. FB recognises that it's you, again. Heard of "cookies"?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:06 am
@jaxon360,
jaxon360 wrote:

If I log out (which i am now) and open link, it just gives me the option to sign in using email and password.

this is your clue that other people cannot access your account information when they follow the link

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:07 am
@jaxon360,
jaxon360 wrote:
Is it possible if the same link is opened on a completely different computer that does not have any of my Facebook info stored on it that only the sent photo/video is shown and they don't see my sign in information at the top of the page

correct

(it is a good general practice to log out when you are not using the account)
0 Replies

jaxon360

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 10:06 am
@Builder,
Builder,
I apologize if I don't know as much about this stuff as you but does it really make you feel better to belittle someone or try to make them feel stupid? Thanks for the info!
jaxon360

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth
Thank you for the helpful information delivered in a polite and respectful way! I really appreciate your help!
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2016 04:15 am
@jaxon360,
Quote:
.....but does it really make you feel better to belittle someone or try to make them feel stupid?

I don't see where I've done anything of the sort in my posts here. Just shared information with you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » HELP! emailed a link from FB and now recipient has access to my account
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 12:04:28