Barack Obama's acts of clemency

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 08:10 am
http://brainsandeggs.blogspot.com/2016/12/scattershooting-electors-and-obamas.html?spref=fb
-- I believe Barack Obama's acts of clemency -- more than the previous eleven presidents combined, 50 times the number of his most recent predecessor, George Walker Bush -- are the very best thing he has done as president of the United States.

Just weeks before leaving office, President Obama on Monday issued 78 pardons and commuted the sentences of 153 prisoners, extending his acts of clemency to a total of 1,324 individuals, by far the largest use of the presidential power to show mercy in the nation’s history.

Of the 231 people who received a pardon or a reduced sentence from Obama, virtually all had been serving sentences under tough anti-drug laws, including those convicted of low-level, nonviolent crimes like possession of cocaine.

Those who received pardons had completed their sentences and are, in the words of Neil Eggleston, the White House counsel, now leading “a productive and law-abiding post-conviction life, including by contributing to the community in a meaningful way.” The pardons wipe away any legal liabilities from a conviction.

I stepped away from this president in 2009, when he did not show any commitment to getting the legislation passed that has long borne his name. I was incensed by his replacing the torture of the Bush administration with unadjudicated assassination of suspected terrorists by drone, a legacy of fomenting the very thing he pledged to eradicate. This legacy will live on long after him. Not just after he leaves office, but after he is dead and gone.

However ...

The president has said he has been motivated to exercise his clemency power by a belief that the sentencing system in the United States was used to lock up minor criminals — often minorities — for excessively long periods of time.

At the end of 2015, as he commuted the sentences of 95 federal prisoners, Obama said it was “another step forward in upholding our ideals of justice and fairness” and added that “if we can show at the federal level that we can be smart on crime, more cost effective, more just, more proportionate, then we can set a trend for other states to follow as well. And that’s our hope.”

Tens of thousands of inmates, mostly young African-American or Hispanic men, were locked up in the effort to combat drug violence during the past three decades. Many of those men were sentenced under federal guidelines that required them to serve decades or longer in prison.

During the past several years, a bipartisan coalition emerged to overhaul that system. The unlikely allies included conservatives like Charles G. and David H. Koch, the billionaire brothers, and the Center for American Progress, a liberal advocacy organization with close connections to Hillary Clinton.

But hopes for a legislative deal to overhaul the nation’s sentencing system failed to materialize during the bitter 2016 presidential campaign. That left Obama with one option: to use his clemency power case by case.

Emphasis above is mine. I applaud this action and I hope the president will pardon more individuals before he leaves office.

Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 01:37 pm
@giujohn,
Please get lost. Please stop posting racist hateful **** on my thread.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I quit reading this ignoramus who calls himself guijohn.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:07 pm
@giujohn,
It's ironic that many of these people were put away for dealing marijuana, a drug that's being legalized throughout the states.
giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 08:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Please get lost. Please stop posting racist hateful **** on my thread.

If it's YOUR thread you should lock it...And I didn't know that drug dealing scum was a classification of race...What color are drug dealers?
giujohn

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 08:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
Not federally.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 09:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Replaying prohibition in the 21st c.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:19 am
@edgarblythe,
And a happy New Year to you, too! Drunk
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:22 am
@Miller,
I tried real hard to not ignore you, but this does it.
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:22 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

What color are drug dealers?

We don't have any drug dealers up here in NE, where I live. Now if you're interested in the" lovely" City of Chicago, that's a different sort of thing.

In Chicago, the dealers are everywhere...so it's seems. Best to contact the Chicago Police Dept, if you want the facts... Rolling Eyes
Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:24 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It's ironic that many of these people were put away for dealing marijuana, a drug that's being legalized throughout the states.

The next event will be the opening of Opioid dens so the junkies can puke in the dark cellars of dispair.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Shocked Shocked
edgarblythe wrote:

I tried real hard to not ignore you, but this does it.

What would Joan Rivers say? Laughing Will Santa bring you a bag of goodies, this year?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:08 pm
@giujohn,
When you use words like hood and ghetto, you're characterizing them by race. That should be obvious. Particularly when,a s you yourself observe, many dealers are white (particularly meth cookers and dealers, the scourge of the South).
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:10 pm
@Miller,
You're living in a fool's paradise, Miller. Yes, we have drug dealers in NE. Read the news.
giujohn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 04:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I quit reading this ignoramus who calls himself guijohn.

No you haven't...You're a LIAR. You constantly respond to my posts at the speed of stupid.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 04:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

When you use words like hood and ghetto, you're characterizing them by race. That should be obvious. Particularly when,a s you yourself observe, many dealers are white (particularly meth cookers and dealers, the scourge of the South).

So only one race lives in the hood? And what color are they?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:02 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Not federally.

It'll reach the tipping point where the federal government will repeal it's marijuana prohibition.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Yes, we have drug dealers in NE. Read the news.

Did you read the whole line?

MILLER QUOTE:

Quote:
We don't have any drug dealers up here in NE, where I live

I said..."Where I live". Learn how to read! Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

When you use words like hood and ghetto, you're characterizing them by race. That should be obvious.

How do you know? What do you know about race, race issues or words like "HOOD" and ghetto? Have you ever heard of a Jewish ghetto?

Obvious? You 've been looking at too much assy TV, lately!

As far as the word"hood"...this word may be short of "neighborhood" or it may simply refer to the "hood" on one's jacket.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Barack Obama's acts of clemency
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:13:39