entitled vs titled

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:44 am
Which word in bold do native speakers use in the following sentence?

I have read the book entitled/titled "The Old Man and the Sea"?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 425 • Replies: 6
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:53 am
I've heard both used by native speakers. Entitled sounds more formal to my ears. If I could note a difference it'd be that entitled connotes a title that was given/made by someone and titled doesn't have that implication. But I don't really know.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 11:41 am
@tanguatlay,
I think an English speaker would say, "I have read the book, 'The Old Man and the Sea,' " and leave it at that. There is no need to say titled or entitled because the punctuation indicates that it's the title. Less is more.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 12:19 pm
@dupre,
Good'n' Doop
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 01:42 pm
"Titled" and "entitled" are synonyms in the meaning "named or called" when referring to a book, article, or speech.

if I had to choose between "a book titled XYZ" and "a book entitled XYZ" I would choose "titled", for two reasons: 1. It's simpler 2. I won't have to deal with people incorrectly correcting me.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 01:44 pm
@dupre,
dupre wrote:
I think an English speaker would say, "I have read the book, 'The Old Man and the Sea,' " and leave it at that. There is no need to say titled or entitled because the punctuation indicates that it's the title. Less is more.

I would go further. I would say "I have read 'The Old Man and the Sea' ". The use of the verb 'read' implies that the title refers to a written work of some sort.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 01:53 pm
@tanguatlay,
"I have read the book entitled 'The Old Man and the Sea,'" would cause me to muse on the other meaning of the word "entitled," whereas using the word "titled" wouldn't.

That being said, I'd go for the deftness in writing previously suggested, short and to the point.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » entitled vs titled
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:03:06