Are classical music stations failing to gain new listeners?

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
In my opinion, as in popular music, new listeners are exposed to classical music mainly through the radio, but classical radio stations seem wont to air only the most conservative music concentrating their focus on the classical period with Mozart and Haydn. As good as this music may be, it's not what draws young audiences to investigate this genre. Turning on a classical station and time after time hearing only the old most conservative standard repoirtory doesn't gain new listeners or even keep established afficionados.

On commercial classical stations the more lenghtly pieces are ommitted because they don't fit in between ads, and heavier works, such as Mahler also get little air time because the music may not be "pleasant" enough.
And twentieth century works are hardly played at all because they deviate too much from the 18th century standards. The stations end up playing music that is appropriate as background material so as to keep as large a casual listening audience as possible.

But you people don't want to be spoon fed light music or ultra conservative music; they want lively meaningful music that challanges them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 910 • Replies: 6
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:22 am
I tend to agree with you, here. Most people don't listen to classical because they are only exposed to the sleepy stuff.

Until one develops an appreciation for the quality of the music itself, it's, well, boring to most young listeners.

There are some exceptions, though, and young audiences are rarely aware of it.

Try turning on some classical music in a room full of teenagers. Most will complain, and some will even leave the room to get away from the "old peoples" music.

However, put classical music in a movie, and they don't notice it.

Star Wars is a great example of this. John Williams (composer) scores many movies, and his music is absolutely moving.

I even think that Star Wars, Superman, etc. would not be half the movies they are if not for their great scores.

So, why don't school teachers bring popular use of classical music to their students' minds?

As a final note, I remember seeing a TV commercial for Pepsi, I think. I was really impressed by the ad--not because I thought it was particularly good (in fact, I find the ad annoying), but because it had whom I believe is a popular black musician singing lyrics to a classical tune.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
Perhaps I'm unfairly attacking the programming of classical stations, but I think they play a major role in exposing young people to the genre. A potential fan may casually turn on to a station and hear only the most conservative of the music. Initial exposture makes long term impressions on young people who already are dubious about the genre.

WRR in Dallas was one of the first classical stations has always been owned by the city. A few years back there were rumblings about selling the station, which would have brought an astounding amount of money to the city coffers. They decided to keep the station only on the condition that it turn a profit. Previously it had broken even, but had excellent programming. Since that time the programming has become ultra-conservative and aimed at those with the most conservative tastes in music. Howls of protests appeared from fans who wanted more variety, but they were ignored.Though I frequently tune into the station, I hardly ever stay, and sometimes I feel my own enthusiasm for classical music waning. I can't imagine that this type of programming will encourage young people to become aquainted to this great music.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
I wonder if these days, classical music stations on the internet may offer more challenging programming than mainstream radio. I was lucky to be exposed to every era of the genre not through the radio, but through my father's extensive record collection, which even includes shellac 78s he inherited from his father.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:12 am
My area has one classical music station. The person who selects the programs apparently has an affinity for flute music, of all things. Imagine a station where at least one third of its content is for the flute! Yeech.

Unfortunately, WQXR, the great NY station, has temporarily halted its streaming audio over the net. I can't wait for its return. In the meantime, I have to rely on my extensive collection of records and CDs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:05 pm
It's funny what some people consider boring.

I find Mahler to be insufferably boring.

Give me Mozart or Haydn over Mahler any time.

It's my opinion that Mozart and Hayden are much more approachable to a new listener of classical music than is Mahler. I've found that what attracts rock fans to classical music is music from the Baroque era. Bach's concerto for two harpsichords is a very forceful and technical piece that has interested many of my friends who are into guitar oriented rock music.

The point about a varied program is well taken, though.

Where I live, I can tune in to two public radio stations that both feature locally produced classical music programs as well as NPR's Performance Today.

They both have a varied play list covering the entire span of classical music eras from the Medieval to the present. They both go out of their way to feature lesser known composers from the "main" eras, composers like Stamitz and Janacek.

I'm fortunate because I live in a decidedly blue-collar town where 80's era rock acts still draw the biggest audiences.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
I agree that a Mahler work in its entirety is difficult for a new listener, but passages of it can grab even a neophyte and haunt him until a future date when he is ready to commit himself to Mahler. Mahler does seems to polarize the classical audience; they hate him or love him. Stations now tend to aim their programming toward the casual listener with less challanging fare.

Haydn and much music of the classical period, on the other hand, sounds aged and evokes images of people sitting around in powdered wigs. I think that's what young people imagine when hearing music of this period, and they often project that as being representative of classical music. I agree with you about Baroque though; it's accessible, doesn't seem to age at all, and is somewhat akin to jazz.
0 Replies