effort or efforts

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 04:32 am
Teamwork is very important and I would like to thank all believers for their effort/efforts in helping me to convert my sister to XYZ religion.

Should it be effort or efforts?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 435 • Replies: 4
No top replies

blatham

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:10 am
@tanguatlay,
That's an interesting one. In standard usage, either is quite normal. I have a personal preference for the singular form but only because if one transposes other similar terms in that sentence such as "help" or "aid", the plural form obviously doesn't work.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:24 am
"Effort" as a non-countable noun (these are always singular) means energy or work: to lift a heavy stone requires much effort. To use "efforts" in the plural is to use the noun in its countable sense, that is, to refer to individual attempts to help convert your sister. Are you talking about individual efforts, or are you talking about one collective effort?

Did your sister get converted? "XYZ religion" sounds kind of scary. is it a cult?

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:51 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

"Effort" as a non-countable noun (these are always singular) means energy or work: to lift a heavy stone requires much effort. To use "efforts" in the plural is to use the noun in its countable sense, that is, to refer to individual attempts to help convert your sister. Are you talking about individual efforts, or are you talking about one collective effort?

Did your sister get converted? "XYZ religion" sounds kind of scary. is it a cult?

Thanks, contrex.

I'm talking about individual attempts.
Yes, she was converted to Christianity. (I used XYZ religion because I'm afraid some of the members may accuse of trying to convert them.)
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2016 01:38 pm
@tanguatlay,
There might be a subtle diff; where it was done all at once or whether a number of separate tries were launched

Tang, forgive
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » effort or efforts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:41:57