Is 'successfully' redundant and comma OK?

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:00 am
On 16 April, I successfully delivered a baby boy – Eleon.

1. Is 'successfully' redundant?
2. Is a dash between 'boy' and 'Eleon' OK or should it be replaced by a comma?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 331 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Skeleton

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:05 am
@tanguatlay,
Not really. What if the baby was dead? That's not a success. What if it had birth defects or turned out to be the offspring of Yog-Sothoth?
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:45 am
@Skeleton ,
Skeleton wrote:

Not really. What if the baby was dead? That's not a success. What if it had birth defects or turned out to be the offspring of Yog-Sothoth?
Thanks, Skeleton.

If I successfully delivered a baby', must the baby be normal. Can't the baby have some defects?

What about the second question? 2. Is a dash between 'boy' and 'Eleon' OK or should it be replaced by a comma?

Skeleton

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:48 am
@tanguatlay,
Yeah you're right, I'd still call a living baby a success regardless. Unless of course it was literal hellspawn. No way. Grab the holy water.
0 Replies

Skeleton

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:49 am
@tanguatlay,
I think the dash is fine.
tanguatlay

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:51 am
Thanks, Skeleton.

I have reproduced my questions for your easy reference.

On 16 April, I successfully delivered a baby boy – Eleon.

2. Is a dash between 'boy' and 'Eleon' OK or should it be replaced by a comma?

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:51 pm
"Successfully" is not out of place but could be redundant unless you wished to draw attention to the fact of the success, e.g. you are not a doctor, you are a recently qualified doctor and it was one of the first deliveries in your medical career, the foetus was at risk in some way, the mother was sick, the pregnancy had not gone full term, etc. This information would be in the surrounding text.

The dash is Ok but could be replaced by a comma or a colon.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:01 pm
@Skeleton ,
Quote:
dash is fine.
Agree most wholeheartedly, depending however on editing requirements in force
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 01:19 pm
a baby boy – Eleon.

Technically the character between 'boy' and 'Eleon' is a hyphen, not a dash.

There are two sorts, an 'em dash', and an 'en dash'. The 'em dash' is the one to use here, and it should have no spacing before or after. A baby boy—Eleon.

Here are a hyphen followed by an em dash - —

Most people seem not to bother, but a dash is usually obtained (on a Windows computer) by:

1. Hold down the Alt key
2. Type 0151 on the numeric keypad
3. Release the Alt key.

In Microsoft Word you can insert it as a symbol. As I said, this is not sometghing that many people bother about, but it is true that a hyphen is not a dash, and vice versa.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 02:00 pm
@contrex,
Leave it up to Con revealing all technicalities
Indeed "English finance (?) professional"

Quote:
Well yes tho depends on context but then doesn't everything. Still maybe don't needcomma; as I've said it's on the way out except where needed for meaning

or "baby"

On 15 April I unsuccessfully delivered a dead male dog. "Unsuccessfully,"? you respond; yes, its mom died too. Then...
On 16 April I successfully delivered a baby boy
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:04 pm
@contrex,
You do that every time you want to make a dash?

All you have to do is type a word, make a space after it, press down the hyphen key, make another space, type another world, make a space and then you've got an en dash. For the em dash, all you have to do is type a word, immediately type two hyphens, type another word, make a space. then you've got an em dash.
contrex

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:17 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

You do that every time you want to make a dash?

All you have to do is type a word, make a space after it, press down the hyphen key, make another space, type another world, make a space and then you've got an en dash. For the em dash, all you have to do is type a word, immediately type two hyphens, type another word, make a space. then you've got anem dash.

That may be true with some software (are you talking about a word processor?) and even then in MS Word only if you have Autocorrect turned on. I prefer to have full control of what I type.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 03:53 pm
@contrex,
Oh, I see.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 09:24 am
@perennialloner,
Thanks to all of you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is 'successfully' redundant and comma OK?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:17:02