I will do almost anything to acquire this.

paulaj

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:50 pm
I am looking for a copy of Johnny Mathis' version of '99 miles from L.A.'

The first and only time I heard JM sing this was years ago when he was on the Dick Cavett show. I have searched the internet and can't find it. Has anyone ever heard it?

I'm not sure if there ever was a studio recording of him singing this, but if there was, I would be willing to........well.......Let's talk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 864 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
It is on the Esstential Johnny Mathis http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000219986/qid=1097294111/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_2_2/103-1854711-8672640
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 09:57 pm
Johnny has recorded more songs than Carter has peanuts. You may never know.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 10:13 pm

Swimpy, ...................YOUR THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually acquire my music, errr-underground, and could not get my hands on it.

Very Happy Thank you SO much Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
I felt the same way about Johnny's version of Hello Young Lovers. THe other versions of the song that I've heard just don't measure up. Ive bought the album "Heavenly" twice to have a copy of it.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:26 am
Don't some peices just send you Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:44 am
No problem, paula.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:22 am
One time my first wife gave away about half of my record collection. It has taken me years to replace most of them. Some, like The Mothers of Invention, I haven't yet re-acquired. The album Belafonte Sings of the Carribean took ten years to find. And then it came out on CD in the Bear Mountain "Island in the SUn" compilation album. If you aren't aware of Bear Mountain, you should look into it. It is expensive, but very thorough covering many artists.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:12 am
A great place to look for albums you can't find is at the Goodwill store or Salvation army store.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm
I've been a subscriber to Discoveries magazine for many years as I enjoy collecting 78's. I'm looking for a copy of Mathis' "a fire and two guitars"(?)...it might be : "two fires and a guitar"
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
Is there a 'I'm lookin for this xyz' thread going?

Pan, I can't help you with that one, although I will keep my eye's peeled.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
Nope, step right up .
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
panzade wrote:
Nope, step right up .

I don't like starting new threads Sad I have an idea for another one, how about a swap thread and or bartering thread.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
Combine the two? Looking for xyz and to swap for it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:04 pm
OPen fire, two guitars, wasn't it?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:41 pm
duh, thanks edgar
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:12 pm
Hey guys, my story on tracking down music.....

I'm a bit of a list maker and on my list of wants since 1978 was an album called Colossus by Australia's answer to Tangerine Dream at the time, Cybotron.

I'd bought their first album (thanks to Double Jay) and picked up their third in a record fair. I actually heard a track played on the aforesaid mentioned double jay and it sounded great but I was poor so it went on my list. But it was on an independent label and soon disappeared.

But it was still on my list. 15 years later they invented the web so occasionally I'd see if it was out there. Bizarrely, another band called Cybotron (rap) released an album called colossus and set my heart palpitating.

In the late 1990s I found http://www.gemm.com/ absolutely recommended for lost albums (I've tracked a few through it) but only the rap Cybotron existed.

Then in early 2004 I did another search of google and found a guy who was releasing Cybotron's old vinyl on CD. I started writing to him to make sure he was legit (he had permission from the band's creative force, Steve Von Braund) and I ordered in March and got it in early April.

How's that for a 26 year odyssey?

Now I ponder on why I can't be that dogged on anything that matters....
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:17 pm
eBay is also a great place to find old vinyl, not that I buy any, but my offspring do.
0 Replies