I Burped in class

roger

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:41 pm
@Rbanks,
Just a tip on excusing yourself: be sure your 'excuse me' is louder than the burp, but only slightly so.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:42 pm
@Rbanks,
Among the things going on in the world, this is resoundingly idiotic, and I'm all for our poster.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:18 pm
I once fell out of my chair in class and the volume of the fart that ensued was, judging by the laughter, obviously much louder than the crash of me and the chair hitting the floor.

Those nuns mean it when they tell you not to lean back in your chair. They've seen it all man.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:21 pm
Life's a funny thing Rbanks.

Some people get detention over a burp, others escape punishment over much greater crimes.

The sun don't shine on the same dogs ass every day.
0 Replies

Rbanks

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 12:51 pm
@roger,
It was only a tiny burp I didn't think she had heard it so annoying I spoke to my tutor tried to get out of the detention only got it reduced to 10 minutes as she told my tutor I need to learn manors like I said excuse me so I have manors
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 01:35 pm
@Rbanks,
Manners

A Manor is a large estate in England, or town in Texas just NE of Austin, and south of Pflugerville.

Watch this video if you want to hear our funny accents.

0 Replies

JahMoris

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:02 am
@Rbanks,
it's okay, I fart a lot and out loud usually and no detention for me.. yeay..haha
Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:02 am
@Rbanks,
Look on the positive side. You could be a student in Japan.

We've seen that acceptable manners differ from country to country. In America what you did would be considered normal, in the UK it gets you detention.

I saw a TV show where they showed a Japanese man who was hired by American companies to train their executives who were being sent to Japan how to get along in Japanesecompany. In Japan, it is considered extremely bad manners to put food into your mouth in front of somebody else. Apparently there are techniques to sort of hide it while you're eating to prevent showing disrespect to others at the table.

If just eating is considered bad manners in Japan, imagine what they do to students who burp.
contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:15 am
In japan, never blow your nose at the dining table. In Mexico, keep your elbows off the table and DON'T BURP (really bad).

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:17 am
@contrex,
I am pretty sure Contrex has never actually been to Mexico (I have spent quite a bit of time there and never heard anything about elbows). I can't say the same for Japan.

Although in Tanzania they teach their children not to spout useless facts they know nothing about... although it is permissible to belch useless facts, as long as you can get the entire fact out in on belch. They spend hours in grammar school mastering this feat.
Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:20 am
@maxdancona,
Actually, it's considered slightly bad manners in the US to put your elbows on the table. They had a funny commercial on TV way back where an aunt admonished her nephew for doing it.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:23 am
@Blickers,
I am an American living in the US. I don't consider it bad manners at all. I think this is an archaic rule, although people may care in some regions or social circles.

Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
@maxdancona,
The elbows thing is probably archaic, the commercial was from the 70s or 80s and auntie was from the WWII generation. I heard vague mention of it before the seeing the commercial, but again quite minor, just slightly bad manners at worst.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:39 am
@Blickers,
A friend never puts her elbows on the table and tends to keep one hand in her lap. I was taught the same. I suppose we were taught by archaic folks. I've long ignored the rule. I might pay attention to it again if I were to go to a splendidly fancy wedding reception. The US, like Mexico, is a big country. Different areas within the same country sometimes have different mores.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 09:44 am
One thing that drives my husband crazy are guys wearing their hats/caps indoors.

It's funny to see when let's say men are working around the house some days, who have been here before. When they step inside the front door, that cap gets whipped off so quickly it isn't funny. They've obviously had their warning before.

He can't control what goes on in public, but he damn well has a say as to what goes on in Casa Tea.

I admit I don't care about caps or hats in public indoor places, except for restaurants...especially if it's a out and out hat and not a cap.

We've been eating out, and there's some guy in a $200 Stetston who doesn't seem to know a real cowboy would have taken that off when he goes under a roof.

Don't get me started on those Fedoras.
contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am pretty sure Contrex has never actually been to Mexico

I had a vacation there in 2005, in Nueva Vallarta. Our guide said "Don't put your elbows on the table!" I guess he could have been bullshitting us. When I went in 2012 to Playacar nobody said anything about elbows.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:06 am
Here's a commercial from a time when many of us were adults that includes admonishments about elbows on table. So it's not that old:

0 Replies

Rbanks

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:18 pm
@Blickers,
Well I saw on twitter American school kids have had detention for burping
Rbanks

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:21 pm
@JahMoris,
Oh lucky for you I let out one tiny burp and get a detention
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 05:29 pm
@chai2,
Me and Wally are in agreement on indoor wearing of hats. I am kind of glad they more or less went out of style, and this is to the credit of Jack Kennedy.

1. Forums
  2. » I Burped in class
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:03:33