Got Stuff?

Ceili

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:39 pm
Long story short, I just moved 1300 km away from home. My stuff is in storage, 1 40 ft. container full. This is after paring down - donating, gifting, and recycling/tossing. After seeing all my stuff stuffed in a box, and not knowing where anything is, and won't for a couple of months, I'm learning to do without. I'm ok with it, just wished I'd been more specific about the stuff I'd need on this side.
The movers have made the move process a dog's breakfast, and so many necessary things, like plates are unfindable without considerable effort. C'est la vie.
The movers broke the very first piece of furniture I owned, I bought it when I was 18. It was an old door, 2 ft wide with a beautiful 6 ft. tall beveled mirror. It was over 1/4" thick, heavy. Gone. Smashed to smithereens. And to boot, they smashed the centre panel of another old glass door.
http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e4/2d/19/e42d19a37db3a9911b8962ce514ce013.jpg
Ever moved? Want to share a horror story to cheer me up?

Quote:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/clutter-stats/
Most of us know we own too much stuff. We feel the weight and burden of our clutter. We tire of cleaning and managing and organizing. Our toy rooms are messy, our drawers don’t close, and our closets are filled from top to bottom. The evidence of clutter is all around us.

Today, increasing data is being collected about our homes, our shopping habits, and our spending. The research is confirming our observation: we own too much stuff. And it is robbing us of life.

Here are 21 surprising statistics about our clutter that help us understand how big of a problem our accumulation has actually become.

1. There are 300,000 items in the average American home (LA Times).

2. The average size of the American home has nearly tripled in size over the past 50 years (NPR).

3. And still, 1 out of every 10 Americans rent offsite storage—the fastest growing segment of the commercial real estate industry over the past four decades. (New York Times Magazine).

4. While 25% of people with two-car garages don’t have room to park cars inside them and 32% only have room for one vehicle. (U.S. Department of Energy).

5. The United States has upward of 50,000 storage facilities, more than five times the number of Starbucks. Currently, there is 7.3 square feet of self storage space for every man, woman and child in the nation. Thus, it is physically possible that every American could stand—all at the same time—under the total canopy of self storage roofing (SSA).

6. British research found that the average 10-year-old owns 238 toys but plays with just 12 daily (The Telegraph).

7. 3.1% of the world’s children live in America, but they own 40% of the toys consumed globally (UCLA).

8. The average American woman owns 30 outfits—one for every day of the month. In 1930, that figure was nine (Forbes).

9. The average American family spends $1,700 on clothes annually (Forbes).

10. While the average American throws away 65 pounds of clothing per year (Huffington Post).

11. Nearly half of American households don’t save any money (Business Insider).

12. But our homes have more television sets than people. And those television sets are turned on for more than a third of the day—eight hours, 14 minutes (USA Today).

13. Some reports indicate we consume twice as many material goods today as we did 50 years ago (The Story of Stuff).

14. Currently, the 12 percent of the world’s population that lives in North America and Western Europe account for 60 percent of private consumption spending, while the one-third living in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa accounts for only 3.2 percent (Worldwatch Institute).

15. Americans donate 1.9% of their income to charitable causes (NCCS/IRS). While 6 billion people worldwide live on less than $13,000/year (National Geographic).

16. Americans spend more on shoes, jewelry, and watches ($100 billion) than on higher education (Psychology Today).

17. Shopping malls outnumber high schools. And 93% of teenage girls rank shopping as their favorite pastime (Affluenza).

18. Women will spend more than eight years of their lives shopping (The Daily Mail).

19. Over the course of our lifetime, we will spend a total of 3,680 hours or 153 days searching for misplaced items.The research found we lose up to nine items every day—or 198,743 in a lifetime. Phones, keys, sunglasses, and paperwork top the list (The Daily Mail).

20. Americans spend $1.2 trillion annually on nonessential goods—in other words, items they do not need (The Wall Street Journal).

21. The $8 billion home organization industry has more than doubled in size since the early 2000’s—growing at a staggering rate of 10% each year (Uppercase).

The numbers paint a jarring picture of excessive consumption and unnecessary accumulation. Fortunately, the solution is not difficult. The invitation to own less is an invitation to freedom, intentionality, and passion. And it can be discovered at your nearest drop-off center.

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:25 am
@Ceili,
Years ago I moved from Phoenix, AZ to Buffalo, NY with all my stuff crammed into the trunk of my car.
Actually that wasn't that bad, kind of fun actually as my sister and I really bonded on our cross country road trip. We took a little side trip into Mexico, just long enough to have lunch and shop for souvenirs, then got pulled over by DEA agents who searched the car for drugs!
We stopped in New Orleans for a couple of days and rode on a paddleboat as well as some other touristy stuff like getting drunk in the French Quarter.
OK, not the horror story you were looking for.
Is it a permanent move?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:44 am
This will be my 16th move. I'm hoping this one sticks. I haven't moved into anything yet, we're looking for land, want to build our own shack. I'm living in a 5th wheel while we look, so yes, I'm hoping this will be permanent.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 06:40 am
@Ceili,
Good luck to you. Will you be farming?, Ranching?
George

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 10:18 am
The Lovely Bride and I moved into this house in 1981.

When I move out it will be feet first on a gurney.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 10:40 am
From January 1, 1994 to June 16, 1995, RP and I lived in four separate places in three states.

In early January of '94, I got a job working for a now-defunct insurance carrier in Providence, Rhode Island, so we moved there from Long Island. It was a really big, beautiful apartment.

I hated my job. RP stayed in NYC with his folks, finishing up working for his employer long enough for his retirement to fully vest (it was another four? months, something like that). He took the train north every weekend, and that included one weekend with a major blizzard where the train was some eight hours late and he didn't have a seat.

In November or December of '94, he got a job in Boston. By that time, I had left the job from hell and was working as a temp for an insurance carrier in Boston. We used to take the early morning train, as in something like 7 AM. Fortunately, we both worked within walking distance from the station.

Our lease in the lovely Providence apartment was up in January '95 so we stuck it out until then. In the meantime, I found us a tiny apartment in Boston, right on the trolley line. I spent several weekends driving smaller stuff up in my compact car and trying to figure out the puzzle of fitting stuff in. We, too, rented storage, in Cambridge, so I also filled that up with things like our summer clothes.

We could barely turn around in the new Boston apartment, and I have no doubt it was not up to code. We started looking for a house nearly immediately, but we needed for me to have a full-time job in order to get a mortgage that wouldn't have a horrible rate.

I got a job in the insurance industry as a legal auditor in April of '95 and we applied for a mortgage maybe two weeks later and stepped up our search. We looked in this section because I knew it was cheap (we had no idea it was going to become gentrified, which it has). We found a house we loved in May and negotiated the price over the weekend. A guy I knew from Providence is a lawyer in Massachusetts and he represented us at the closing. We had the keys on June 16, 1995 and started to move in immediately.

I don't think I found our spatula until October.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:36 am
@TomTomBinks,
We're looking for something around 5 acres. I want some happy chickens. No ranching, but I do want to grow a lot of stuff, mainly veg/fruit and mushrooms. But a few other weeds come to mind as well. Wink
I really want to build a natural house, cob/padobe with a green roof. I've designed scores of houses, but I think I've got the design narrowed down, of course this will depend on the land itself.
I've lived in cities my whole life, want to be a hippy for a while...
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:41 am
@jespah,
I've see pictures of your house. It's lovely. I've always lived in the west, everything's pretty new here, very little with charm, sadly.
I once moved from one province to another in my trusty honda accord hatchback.
I'll let you know when I find my spatulas, though I may break down and get another.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:49 am
@Ceili,
Sounds like you've landed pretty close to blatham.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
He's on the island too?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:32 pm
@Ceili,
Awesome. I hope you find your paradise. You can grow an incredible amount of food in a small space if your careful. My own small vegetable garden astounds me every year with the volume of food produced. I raised chickens for eggs in the past and will again soon, maybe this coming spring. Honestly, with proper protection for the birds and a good composting program for the garden, you could be nearly self sufficient!
I look forward to hearing about your progress.
jespah

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:48 pm
@Ceili,

Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:53 pm
@jespah,
Given where ceili has moved, UHF is funny to see.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC61oqrpW0F92QpeiA93I_Fg/about

Quote:
UHF is a Canadian folk music supergroup, consisting of singer-songwriters Bill Henderson of Chilliwack fame, Shari Ulrich and Roy Forbes. The band's name comes from the initials of the members' surnames.

The group was first formed in 1989 when Forbes and Ulrich were asked to perform with Henderson at the Vancouver Winter Roots Festival.

supergroup might be putting it a weeeee bit strongly Laughing

I'm probably one of the only people around who's seen all 3, and interviewed more than one of them.
Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:02 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Thank-you.
I've been reading all about permaculture, and this is the perfect place to mess around with it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:07 pm
@jespah,
So I got to thinking, where did the word spatula come from... and well, a word-smith such as yourself might appreciate this.

http://theweek.com/articles/462790/humble-spatulas-linguistic-origins
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I listen to Roy on the radio all the time, but I confess, I have only seen him perform, not the whole group.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:02 pm
Long ago, I knew Bill Henderson, Glenn Miller and (from a later iteration of "Chilliwack", Howard Froese). Bill's brother Fred (part time actor) was a good friend who spent a lot of time at our place. In '67, the original band name was "The Collectors" and we saw them (stoned out of our noggins on acid) at the Retinal Circus. As the Collectors, they achieved semi-fame and performed at one of Hefner's Playboy Clubs.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Got Stuff?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:16:21