ask

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 02:19 pm
My English teacher says these options are grammatically wrong (the one good is "Where were you ?") :
1.Where have you been?
2.Where did you be ?

What do you think?

contrex

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:04 pm
1 is good English
2 is not

"Where have you been?" does not mean the same as "Where were you?", however. Teacher could be right. Depends what you are trying to say. It's a past tense issue.

'Were' is the simple past tense, used for events or times at a specific time or during a specific period in the past that are completed. Where were you at 6 PM? Where were you last Tuesday? Where were you in 2013?

"Have been" is the present perfect tense, used about an event that happened at a non-specific time in the past, or is incomplete, or where something is or was expected.

Have you been to France? Where have you been today? Where have you been for the last 15 minutes?

0 Replies

58podejscie

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:40 pm
@58podejscie,
Where did you be is wrong because I cannot use "did" here yes?

Will Almost no matter if I ask "where were you" or "where have you been" but the first one is better, isn't it?

What if I had used the last one , would nobody have understood me?
(last one is "where did you be"/ what if I get it more in detail I mean If i ask " Where did you be last night or where did you be yesterday - does is still wrong?

I hope you caught all these things I gave it all to write it understandable.
contrex

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:25 pm
@58podejscie,
You need to study more. Talk to your teacher.
58podejscie

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:09 am
@contrex,
If I write for real, I will not do any mistakes.
I was good at English grammar.
The teacher said there is only one good option and I need to believe that.
I wanted to know if I asked in another way would be that good but it is not as I can see.
I do not know how it is but my teacher also says that the people who speaks "the english language" would be not able to do "The matura exam" (school leaving exam ..) (they are doing mistakes on own language so what it is...)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:12 am
I repeat. This:

1.Where have you been?

is grammatically good. Ask your teacher why he or she says it is not.
58podejscie

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:36 am
@contrex,
I will tell you exactly how does she explain that all for us. Just only the one case she says there is a special question ( we will not talk about p(s). perfect now)
She says :
If we are talking about past tenses, you can creat (make) 99% sentences using "did" but there is one thing.
She says that this sentence is an exception and there is only one way to say that
"Where were you be?" . She says that I cannot ask (IN?) another way BECAUSE that would be not grammatically ok tj.(Where have you been? does not exist here) I just wanted to know from the real (Englishman/Americans/Canadians) if there was only one way.

I hope that was understandable finally , if wouldn't be let's end this conversation because I cannot explain better.
Blickers

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 09:04 am
@58podejscie,
As an American, I don't know what to say.

"Where were you be?" is incorrect.

"Where were you?" is correct, and very often said.
0 Replies

58podejscie

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:54 am
You are right
I shouldn't use "be" there.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ask
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:52:27