putting up

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:48 am
The staff are putting up a concert as part of their fund-raising campaign.

Is "putting up" correctly used? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 334 • Replies: 12
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:03 am
@tanguatlay,
I would say

The staff are putting on a concert as part of their fund-raising campaign.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:31 pm
@maxdancona,
So would I.

I think of putting up in at least a few contexts, but not this one in the opening post: putting up a poster about a concert to be held in the future, as in raising the poster so that people going by can see it; dealing with chiding by a friend who actually likes you and is trying to help you, so putting up with; constructing a barn for your animals and their feed. Barns often have two floors or a main floor with storage space built over the beams.

Putting on a concert is used in the US and I suspect other countries that have a lot of english speakers. To me it describes a variety of elements coming together, such as hiring musicians, ascertaining where the concert will be held, scheduling that, practice sessions, advertising the concert, plus a lot of other tasks.
contrex

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Putting on a concert is used in the US and I suspect other countries that have a lot of English speakers.

Putting on is also common in British English. Arranging, promoting,
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 01:59 pm
@tanguatlay,
Again, context. The guys above are right of course though Oss' pertinent remark notwithstanding "putting up" might prove appropriate in some cases, say to inject a note of humor
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:01 pm
Dale, your reply is not helpful. He is not asking about whimsical or far fetched usage.

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:04 pm
@contrex,
Also, I'm a woman, not a guy.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:07 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
reply is not helpful. He is not asking about whimsical
Prolly you're right, Con. However, there's an outside chance....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
a woman
Ah God Lord mercy Temp, forget a whole lot at 86; my apologies
contrex

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:30 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
a woman
Ah God Lord mercy Temp, forget a whole lot at 86; my apologies

Noted Wink

I am going to be whimsical now so maybe I was harsh on you! I have remember how we use 'putting up' in British English...

When we preserve food by pickling etc (canning you call it in the USA?) we sometimes say we are putting it up e.g. my mother put up 5 jars of tomatoes and 6 jars of apple jelly this week. Also to tolerate something is to put up with it. To prepare food and put it in a picnic basket for a trip could be called putting it up.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@contrex,
That kind of putting up is done here too. I don't do canning (too much like my old lab days, which I liked, but are over, since 1980). I do make refrigerator pickles of several sorts, could call that putting them up, but hey, I just go ahead and make them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:43 pm
As long as we are going through ever single use, there is also the hitting of a small hard ball with a stick so it goes toward a hole in the ground at a higher elevation.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

As long as we are going through ever single use, there is also the hitting of a small hard ball with a stick so it goes toward a hole in the ground at a higher elevation.

Thanks to all of you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » putting up
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:27:04