Did you know that the male housefly can have an erection?

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
I guess I've never really thought about it much. I've always assumed flies were some sort of non-sexual insect and new flies came from maggots. I guess it never occured to me that those maggots were the result of some sort of crazy insect mating behavior. But I just witnessed something that has caused me to change my way of thinking.

I was reading a post by navigator when a female fly flew across the screen and landed on the far right edge.

over there ------->

She sat there for a bit, preening herself, when suddenly a male fly lands on the other side of the screen.

<------ right about there

Now you might ask how I knew it was a male fly. I'll get to that.

She keeps preening herself and all of a sudden he starts walking across the screen. Then he stops for a second directly in front of my field of vision.

And I could clearly see a little fly erection. It looked like a small darkened piece of dental floss. When you think about it, that fly was pretty well hung, factoring in proportion and all of that scientific stuff.

And then..... whoosh! He takes off in a blur and before I could even react he was on top of her, humping like crazy.

He finished his business. ( about 2 minutes --same as kickycan ) and flew off. It might have been my imagination, but I swore I saw a little smoking cigarette dangling from his lips. And then he was gone. Around the corner and into the furnace room.

I turned my attention back to her. She was squatting down and pushing out maggots! Is that possible? Could the gestation period of a housefly actually be somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 seconds?

Or was she impregnated by a different fly at an earlier date and this second fly just happened to nail her seconds before she gave birth?

And why would he do that? Did he have no conscience? Or maybe he truly didn't know she was pregnant?

I realize I've asked an awful lot of difficult questions here, but I feel fairly confident that the good members of A2K can supply me with the answers I seek.

I'm fairly rattled right now. This whole fly sexuality thing was not how I expected to start my day.

Ok then. I'll wait for your answers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,883 • Replies: 31
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:34 am
I'd move your computer room out of the pigsty Gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:35 am
Seems to me you're treating this matter a little too lightly, panzade.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:37 am
You're right Gus, spelling is important when posting on A2K. That should have read: pig sty. My bad
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Obviously I'm going to have to wait for some of the more serious members of this community to show up.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:41 am
Well Gus, it seems like you don't like the taste of your own medicine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:42 am
Well considering the average life span of an adult housefly is from 20 to 30 days, I guess it is possible that gestation period is 30 seconds; sounds reasonable. Also considering the following - "Each female lays about 500 slender whitish eggs in batches of a hundred or more at a time. A half-day later, in warm weather, each egg hatches into a tiny white larva called a maggot. After five days or more, the larva is full-grown and then transforms into a quarter-inch, brown, seed-like pupa or "resting stage". From these pupae, 3 or 4 days later, the adults emerge and are soon ready to start families of their own. "

Unfortunately I could not find anything on the gestation period. But how quickly all that happens above, you could guess that gestation would have to be pretty quick. So my guess is the male fly did have a conscience and is a good father, at least, as flies go.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/400-499/nb453.htm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:44 am
You're in good hands now Gus. I'll mosy on in to work.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
panzde wrote:
Well Gus, it seems like you don't like the taste of your own medicine.

I am quite surprised to hear you say that, panzade.

You're much too astute.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:51 am
Thanks, linkat.

I owe you.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:52 am
Re: Did you know that the male housefly can have an erection
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I realize I've asked an awful lot of difficult questions here, but I feel fairly confident that the good members of A2K can supply me with the answers I seek.

I'm fairly rattled right now. This whole fly sexuality thing was not how I expected to start my day.

Ok then. I'll wait for your answers.

Gustagetsrattledfromflysex-

You have shared a beautiful experience with all of us here today.

I was just about to read my new Discovery magazine, (the whole mag is devoted to Einstein this month) but after reading your new finding's, I had no choice but to throw that magazine in the trash, and I'm on the verge of cancelling my subscription.

Excuse while I make a phone call....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
I am here to serve. And to enlighten.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
I note Gus seems to have a touch of jealously re the fly. The male fly appears to Gus to have an erection and find a suitable recipient for noted erection. Fly 2 Gus 0. Life is hell.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:06 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I am here to serve. And to enlighten.

Depak Chopra couldn't hold a candle to you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:56 pm
Dys wrote:
I note Gus seems to have a touch of jealously re the fly. The male fly appears to Gus to have an erection and find a suitable recipient for noted erection. Fly 2 Gus 0. Life is hell

There's that. Plus, flies have wings and can reach dizzying heights and look down at the world, while I stand immobile, boots firmly entrenched in the mud, and desperately try to extract myself from the tenacious grasp of gravity and mud.

And the fly continues to pull away in the great race.

Thanks for pointing that out, Dys.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:26 pm
is said fly the same that beats up the guy? cus you think a fly with such a large male organ could take out a full grown male
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
No flies on you, Gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:39 pm
seed wrote:
is said fly the same that beats up the guy? cus you think a fly with such a large male organ could take out a full grown male

What the hell did you just say?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:40 pm
i dont know... i truly dont.... long day
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:41 pm
Well, thanks for your quick response anyway.

That means something.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Did you know that the male housefly can have an erection?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 08:31:55