How to get my dad to understand?

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 05:12 pm
I am 19 years old. I am not currently in college but I will be in the spring. I live with my mom in PA, and my dad lives in Ohio. Right now I'm visiting him. My birthday is on Saturday, and I really want to go home so I can spend my birthday with my friends and go Black Friday shopping. He's upset because he "won't get to spend any time with me." I just stayed in North Carolina with my aunt for 2 weeks. I stayed with my dad for 3 days before that, and I've been here for 3 days since I've been back. He works all day long and I don't see him anyway. When I'm at home, my dad calls me every day, multiple times a day.. Every. Single. Day. I've tried my best to explain to him that I'm 19 years old, and I went to spend time with my friends and live my own life, not sit at home with my dad all day (obviously I said it a bit nicer than that.) I understand that he's upset that he doesn't see me often, and I do spend time with him when I can. But there's nothing for me to do here..I have no friends in Ohio, my car isn't working right now so I literally just sit inside all day while my dad iis at work. He gets home at 7:30 and goes to sleep. There's no reason for me to be here...I don't think that I'm being selfish. I just want to live my own life. How can I explain that nicely to my dad and make him understand that I still love him and appreciate what he does for me, I just don't want to spend weeks away from my friends sitting alone inside all day?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 304 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by beeh1126
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 05:40 pm
@beeh1126,
Why don't you offer to drive him to/from work so you can do stuff during the day.

Offer to take him to lunch or dinner while you're visiting - so you can talk to him before he goes to sleep.

Make an effort and he might be more accommodating to your wish to spend less time with him.

__

If there is no reason for you to be there, why are you there? does he give you money if you visit?
beeh1126

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I've thought about that, but I'm not on his insurance and I can't drive his car.

We do go out to eat sometimes, but he's usually so tired that he doesn't want to.

I'm here because my flight came back into Cleveland from North Carolina.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to get my dad to understand?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 09:46:37