Wiring a light switch

KEFC

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 04:05 pm
I was replacing a light switch that was making a funny sound and now the light turns on when I switch the breaker on, but won't turn off when I flip the switch on and off. it stays on constantly.
Please help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 519 • Replies: 16
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 05:05 pm
@KEFC,
You've somehow wired the light directly to power bypassing the switch. Could you send a diagram or photo of your wiring job so we can sort it out?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:32 pm
@KEFC,
Kefc, Tom's guess is a good'n. However, what kind of a light is it, and is the switch of the common mechanical model

A semiconductor light such as LED might stay on for a number of reasons
KEFC

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 10:27 am
I took out a standard 2 pole switch and put in a new 2 pole switch. White, red, black, and ground wire all wired back in. White on the ground side of switch. black and red on the other side. Black wire to black nut. Even tried a new switch...still stays on.

Can't figure out how to post a pic on this site.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:26 pm
@KEFC,
Are you controlling two separate circuits with this switch? You only mentioned a light, what else does this switch control? If you attached the wires the same way as the old one was wired, of course it should work. Check to see if the switch is upside down (no "on" "off") markings can make it confusing.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:28 pm
@KEFC,
One more thing, are you in the US with 120vac or somewhere else with 240vac?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:51 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Kefc, Tom mebbe onto sum'pin'. But if switching the wires to the switch doesn't work, another approach is to go 'round turning off & on various other switches in its neighborhood so as to signal a short
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 12:52 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Kefc, Tom mebbe onto sum'pin'. But if reversing the wires to the switch doesn't work, another approach is to go 'round turning off & on various other switches in its neighborhood so as to signal a short
0 Replies

KEFC

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 02:20 pm
Here's a pic. The white wire is attached to the other side.
http://i.imgur.com/fLNXSEC.jpg
0 Replies

KEFC

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 03:26 pm
Anyone? I just checked the other switch that runs these lights and it is wired the exact same way I have this wired> In the US.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 04:32 pm
Well, first don't pay attention to Dale, he gives bad advice or just complicates stuff.

Second, as I understand what you say, your lights are controlled by two switches.

In that case, the position of the wires on the switch is quite important.

If it's wrong the lights can be permanently on or off.

Try to reverse white and red wires and see what happens.

You should see a difference in the way it works.

If it's not fixed, try exchanging white and black wires.

The fact that your switch is wired the same way as the other switch doesn't mean anything as it depends on the way the source and the lights are wired.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 06:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Can't figure out how to post a pic on this site.
Purposely made difficult, Kefc, to discourage too many contributors. I gave up trying after 17 years
0 Replies

KEFC

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2016 07:58 pm
@timur,
I swear I've tried every combination with the 3 wires and they all just leave the lights on no matter which screw they are attached to. : (
timur

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:25 am
@KEFC,
Have you tried leaving the wires not connected, withdrawing the switch?
KEFC

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:17 am
@timur,
timur Just tried that and no lights.
timur

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:22 am
@KEFC,
Then either you have one or both switches short-circuited (damaged), or you have a short circuit between two of the wires.

At this point, I'd recommend you call a certified electrician.
KEFC

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 11:00 am
@timur,
Will do......thank you.
0 Replies