Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 232 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 09:40 am
The answer depends on the sentence. Use the pronoun I when the pronoun is the subject of a verb: the dog and I are going for a walk. Use the pronoun me when the pronoun is the object of a verb: the rain fell on the dog and me.

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 10:35 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The answer depends on the sentence. Use the pronoun I when the pronoun is the subject of a verb: the dog and I are going for a walk. Use the pronoun me when the pronoun is the object of a verb: the rain fell on the dog and me.

Thanks, contrex.

I saw the title of the grammar book "Grammar and I" or "me"? on the cover of the book. Unfortunately, it didn't state whether it should be I or me. So I am really at a loss.
contrex

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 12:32 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I saw the title of the grammar book "Grammar and I" or "me"? on the cover of the book. Unfortunately, it didn't state whether it should be I or me.

Think carefully about what you have written here. (About why the book might be thus titled).

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 12:42 pm
"I" is subjective, and "me" is objective. So, if the idea is that we make sense, Grammar and I, being subjective. If the idea is that we are abused, Grammar and me, being objective.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 01:14 pm
I thought merely that the title, itself, of the book posed a grammar question and in so doing conveyed the purpose of the book and also perhaps aroused the curiosity of those who might benefit from it. Then I Googled it. The book is called "My Grammar and I (Or Should That Be 'Me'?): Old-School Ways to Sharpen Your English", by Margaret Taggart, with the first 4 words large on one line, then the rest underneath:

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/small/14/14_my_grammar_and_i.jpg
contrex

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 02:14 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
with the first 4 words large on one line, then the rest underneath:

Well, not exactly, but you get the idea.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Grammar and I/me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:19:35